rundogdave

Hand Sewing Suede

Does one sew suede differently than veg tan? I did a practice piece, using a saddle stitch. It doesn't look any worse than any of my other hand sewn items. I'm just wondering if I need to use a welt, or a different stitch, or ...?

Thanks for any advice.

post-37799-0-86409500-1425865133_thumb.j

Don't punch or awl too far ahead of yourself... your holes close up. Last time I handsewed suede I had good luck with one of those Hand Stitching crimp type Punches. Only did 5 or10 ahead of the needle. The old black Singers do well with suede too, but you'll only get at best 6spi from a 66,99k,201 or 15-91. Most times that's fine for a napped leather.

I glue before awl punching and keep the sewing line close to the pony. I even sew thin very soft top grain bison leather with decent results.

I am not a very great stitcher, but I don't do any machine sewing as i use hand stitching for therapeutic value. If I can hand stitch this thin super soft stretchy bison ( like Deer skin or Elk ) I think that with a little practice any body can. Here is a picture of a piece that I saddle stitched this morning on the pony! You have to use a little less stitch pressure and more back stitching. I also knot the last double stitch. This leather is super strong, which is surprising given how soft it is. It easily stretches in all directions. I think that soft splits pose about the same problem, but I believe are a little easier to hand stitch. Hope this helps.

post-42291-0-47854300-1425919828_thumb.j

post-42291-0-37186000-1425919843_thumb.j

Thin leather puts greater demands on your stitching technique. You can't rely on the firmness of the leather to help guide the awl. Your awl placement is more critical. You also need to use far less tension when you pull the stitches tight or it will deform the leather.

Good Luck,

Michelle