I purchased my first Dixon pricking iron - 6SPI, 1 inch - two months ago. I noticed that the prongs are not centered. I was told by the distributor that this is how they are designed. When I held the iron perpendicular, it flew out of my hand when I struck it. My other irons (Blanchard, Seiwa) are symmetrical.

My questions:

• Why does Dixon grind them this way?
  • Is there a special technique for using them?

post-35174-0-03995800-1425908222_thumb.j

post-35174-0-74267100-1425908222_thumb.j

probably to save costs, vintage dixons were symmetrical. I hold mine with the flat side away from the edge, it shouldn't matter I don't think as long as its 90 degrees holding the iron by the base connecting to the post. Your iron looks more asymmetrical then my 1 year old dixon, I would guess that the force isn't distributed well because of this.

Is that a 2015 iron? I never seen dixon advertise their website on an iron..

It's probably 2014. I bought it in January.

Edited by CalSheaths

I bought a load of pricking irons from them in July 2014 and they came with the website on them. My older ones didn't. I'm not sure why they are not symmetrical and sadly, since they went into liquidation on 13 February this year, we'll probably never know. I tried to order some more left handed pricking irons yesterday, only to find that they were no longer operating. I got a very sad sounding chap on the phone explaining that they had gone out of business after 172 years.

If you want to buy residual Dixons tools I'd advise going through Abbey England : http://abbeyengland.com/en-gb/home.aspx

I'm sorry to hear they went out of business. I like their tools, especially the older ones.

Edited by CalSheaths

That is very sad news about Dixon , can't afford Blanchard prices might have to go with the Goods Japan european irons, oh well another one bites the dust. .

Newer ones are like that, cheaper to make I guess.

I have to ask though, how the heck is it flying out of your hand ?

How hard are you hitting it ????

I have the old & new versions & I can't say I've noticed much difference in use, but then, I don't try & use them as punches, only to put enough of a mark to guide my awl, not punch through all the way.