CourtneyLynn

Saddle Seat - Smooth Or Rough Out?

Hello. I am starting to shop around for a new saddle - my very first brand new and CUSTOM saddle and have nailed down the important fit and appearance questions. However, one question gives me pause - smooth or rough out seat?

I have ridden primarily in saddles with suede seats and come from an English background where the seats are smooth. I've opted for a Wade because they seem to ride similarly to dressage saddles and that is my comfort level. I grew up riding bareback. Now, I'm just a recreational rider, but I like the idea of having a saddle that I could dally off of if I really wanted to. I like the overall look of a Wade, their functionality and the fact the horn is lower and less likely to jab me in the stomach. I currently ride in a Cleburne cutting saddle and while I love it... I've gotten up close and personal with the horn and it's not fun.

If you were building a saddle for yourself, would you opt for a smooth seat or rough out and why? At this point in time, I'm 50/50 for both options. On one hand, I like the idea of the extra 'stick' if my mare throws a buck, but on the other hand... the idea of being stuck in one position in the saddle kind of scares me. I like being able to shift around and I've been told that rough out makes that a little difficult. I haven't really noticed that with any of the suede saddles I've sat in, but I've never ridden in an honest to goodness rough out seat. Women have also warned me that riding in jeans and a new rough out seat can cause *ahem* friction burns. That doesn't sound like my kind of party either. Another people told me I could just wear chinks if I bought a smooth seat and wanted more grip. So there are options... I'm just having a hard time committing to one of them.

So saddle makers and riders... what do YOU prefer? If you were speaking to someone like me and advising them, what would you advise? What are the pros and cons to each option?

Thank you.

Edited by CourtneyLynn

CourtneyLynn,

I've only had two saddles in my short life, but both have rough out seats, and if I ever get one tacked together for myself, it will have a rough out seat. I ranch, and ride a few colts, and like the feel of the rough out seat. Both of mine have worn down pretty smooth, if they get too smooth, I can rough them up a little with a softer wire brush. Most makers I am aware of sand their hides down on the flesh side, so the rough seat isn't all that rough. I also know a few guys ranching in a smooth seat who complain about sliding around too much. If you were to get a chance, maybe borrow a saddle or two that you like to look and style of, keep riding them until you find one you like. That's just my two cents.

Reid G.

Personally I like the roughout myself. I've never had a friction burn problem, although I have heard both men and women complain about it. Smooth is too slick for me, I feel like I slide around too much. I like roughout chaps against a roughout seat and fenders.

Hello CourtneyLynn,

I like a smooth seat - Its all I have ever ridden and like you I prefer the ability to shift around. I've ridden some very rough roughouts and didn't care for them at all - That said I have a friend who rides for the PFRA and he rides a wade roughout - He's put a lot of miles in that rig and its so burnished its like riding a smoothout - I've ridden that saddle and sure didn't mind it.

Keep in mind that not all roughouts are created equal - Some makers will really buff that flesh side of the hide and get it pretty smooth - I've also seen some that were left pretty raggy. One thing about a roughout - They're probably more versatile...If you want 'grip' leave it pretty rough and maintain it with a wire brush - If you decide smoothout is the way you want it to ride just let it burnish up with time and miles...

If you have the opportunity do like Reid says and ride both types. That'll be the best way to determine what you like.

Roughouts can look really nice - Especially the 'half breed' styles - Checkout:

http://www.oxranch.net/saddles/group_03/026_26.jpg

http://www.sagecreeksaddles.com/image/obj106geo117pg6p1.jpg

http://www.stevemasonsaddles.com/images/saddle1.jpg

Ron

Edited by rdl123

Wouldn't life be dull if everybody liked the same things? That said, my experience has been that roughout is my last choice for anything to be used outdoors. Reasons:

1. Moisture repellency

2. Dirt repellency

Roughout saddles when used much get slick with a combination of oil, dirt and compression; Yes they can be brushed back but smoothout is better IMHO. And then there is the decoration aspect. Life's too short to ride ugly tack some have said and I have oft repeated as I passed on another night of tomfoolery to buy another piece of silver for saddle or headgear.

That's been my experience, but obviously not everybody's.

Oh yeah, and there is the cost factor. Now when quality makers just turn a piece of skirting over for roughout it doesn't come into play but rough out skirting is a product offered by many tanners that can be a little cheaper in bulk. For a custom maker to save ~$20 on materials for a saddle doesn't pencil out but if you're turning out a bunch of them $20 each will add up at the end of the year. REPEAT: Good custom makers DO NOT use 'roughout skirting' they turn what they normally use over and it often takes a little extra handling to end up with the desired appearance.

First of all, Toot and I usually see things pretty much the same, as is the case here. I agree fully with his out look on roughout vs: smooth. I have built many of both and at the end of the day it usually doesn't matter weather the rider is really experienced or a rooky. It's just a matter of preference. I have actually built a couple of saddles on the exact same tree, right down to the width and height of the gullet,, height of the cantle and so on, only difference was the length of the seat. I built these for a husband and wife team that ride usually 8 to 10 hours a day for work and on their time off, they trail ride. They are vastly experienced riders with more than 100 years riding experience between them. one liked and wanted a rough-out, the other a light weight smooth- out. And while they are noticeably different, because of personal preferences and riding styles. They are built on the same tree. When they switched saddles for the heck of it, they both said the same thing, "give me back my own saddle". What I am trying to say is, it is a matter of what you like and are used to. Like someone said, try both and make your decision based on good experience.

Just to show you the difference in look, here are a couple od pics of those two saddles. Bear in mind they both fit horses that are the same in comformation.

Bob

post-8161-0-40199700-1426004682_thumb.jp

post-8161-0-04075000-1426004702_thumb.jp

Thanks, everyone. After reading this topic and a similar one I have on another thread, I am definitely amazed by the variation and conviction of opinions. At this point in time, the fact about dirt really catches my attention. I am a leather snob and I love my saddles to be clean, well loved and looking good. Grimy suede makes my skin crawl. Strangely, I really enjoy the look of well-used rough out (when it takes on the denim color, and pattern of the riders leg)... on someone else's saddle. On mine, I prefer a nice patina from use.

I think I'm going to go with a smooth seat. The saddle I'm going to have built has an exceptionally deep seat with a nice pocket, so I shouldn't have to worry about sliding around like I would on a flatter seat. I'm a trail rider for the most part and aside from a few occasional breaks from sanity, my mare is generally fairly lazy.

Oltoot - I agree with your statement about a short life and ugly tack. I buy my tack to suit my style and preferences and look great on my horse. I refuse to ride synthetic or cheap leather and don't even show me a Cordura rig. I'd rather spend $1000 on a great, used saddle and be able to admire the art that it is.

Thank you all, for your input. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and I can already see it's going to be dangerous for me. One day, I will build and tool my own saddle. Not today or tomorrow... but one day. This forum is going to enable that dream. :)