PonyEdwards

Original Price Of Singer/adler Shoe Patch Machines?

I've been wondering if anyone in the combined brain trust might know how much in U.S. Dollars the different models of Singer 29 series shoe patchers sold for when they were new? Such as a 29-4 made around the beginning of the last century, and still commonly used by many folks today. Or, in my particular case I have a Singer 29K58. Now, I roughly know how much I've seen them selling for used, but have no idea, how much they sold for new. I'm also searching for a Singer 29K72, or 73 whichever is the long arm version, but again without knowing what the new price was, I can't judge what a fair used price might be?

Thanks.

When buying and selling antiques, the original selling price often doesn't enter into it. The going market price is based on what average buyers are willing to pay at any given time. This changes,just like the price of Futures and Commodities. Chances are that you will pay a lot more now for a pristine 29-4 patcher than what it sold for new. You will also have to pay in full in cash, where the cobblers in the early 1900s may have bought them on time, direct from Singer salesmen.

The 29-4 sold for about $50.00 which was stand and head in 1900. A 29K58 head and stand sold for about $450.00 in the late 1930's when it was introduced.

glenn

This is like asking the price of a model T when they first came out in the '30s.

Thank you, gentleman. Those are the sorts of answers I was looking for. I fully understand the discrepancy between yesteryears prices, and today's. Prices fluctuate from region to region, but what range might I expect to pay for a newer model singer in the 29K70's series?

... what range might I expect to pay for a newer model singer in the 29K70's series?

On average, anywhere between $300 and $600 for a short arm, and between $400 and $800 for a long arm, big bobbin model. Patchers that are mounted on the correct cast iron base, with a double treadle pulley, usually sell for much more than a head only.

There are always exceptions to prices. A pristine machine with very little prior wear and tear will fetch a higher price than a typically used and abused machine. A rebuilt patcher that sews 5 to the inch is worth more also. The condition of the moving parts and sewability is more important than its birth date.

Those prices are for private sales, not necessarily from dealers.

I know this is an old topic but I wanted to let people know that yes the price varies. The prices for said Singer machine in my area are running  $1200-1500. These machines have been sitting in a closed up shop or garage for some time. I would like to say shop around but I will not buy a machine that I cannot visualize and sew on first so that knocks out buying over the internet. Thanks for listening.

I think that shows GB pounds (red) and USA dollars (black) 

Thank you for this. It took me awhile to find the original post, but I eventually found it and made copies.

your welcome, the prices seem to be from 1907.