roughout

Saddle Tree Reference Points

I am starting my fourth saddle and I always try to lay out and mark some reference points on the tree such as boundaries for stirrup leathers, center lines on the horn and cantle, etc. Since there is no flat or square area on a saddle, does anyone have a better way than measuring/eyeballing/measuring/eyeballing until it looks right to mark reference points that are true? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

I use a laser positioned above the tree to mark those lines. I have it mounted on a fixture attached to my saddle stand and runs from front to back. My laser has lines on square so I can mark both lines lengthwise and across the tree. I slide the laser on the fixture to mark the stirrup leathers and the ends of the cantle to ensure perfect square to the position the tree is sitting on the horse.

Keith, would you have a source for that laser?

On 12. März 2015 at 8:35 PM, kseidel said:

I use a laser positioned above the tree to mark those lines. I have it mounted on a fixture attached to my saddle stand and runs from front to back. My laser has lines on square so I can mark both lines lengthwise and across the tree. I slide the laser on the fixture to mark the stirrup leathers and the ends of the cantle to ensure perfect square to the position the tree is sitting on the horse.

Hello Keith,

First of all a big thank you for your posts, I enjoy reading them all and learning a lot from you!

Question: Is it possible to post some pictures of the "Laser-Process?" And how do find your main reference points such as the center line? (If you have the laser attached to the stand, i suppose it's not guaranteed that the tree is in the right position for the laser? or do you have kind of a "locking-possibilty" on that stand, so every tree sits on it the same?)

I am looking forward to your answer,

regards,

Andy