cds

Photos Of Your Stitching, Please.

Would anyone care to post some close up photos of the bottom side stitch of a properly tensioned lockstitch machine? I am clueless on what to look for. Every time I think I have my machine tensioned properly for what I am stitching, I see flaws. I know I will never get my bottom stitch to look like the top, but I do feel I could do better.

Is there a particular weight/type of leather you're interested in?

Can you post pictures of what you're getting out of your machine at the moment? That might help get suggestions on what to adjust.

Edited by amuckart

Is there a particular weight/type of leather you're interested in?

Can you post pictures of what you're getting out of your machine at the moment? That might help get suggestions on what to adjust.

I am mainly trying to get started with wallets. I am using 4-5oz outside leather with 2-3oz inside. I am still trying to figure out what thread size to use or looks best (69 or 138). The photos below are with 138 and a 22 needle.

Top stitch looks good to me.

i-9zkzf4j-L.jpg

Here is the bottom stitch, which I cannot seem to live with. In this example, I have mashed down the thread and edges around the stitch to try and make it look better. I really do not like the way the backstitch bunches or knots up. Not sure if this is a tension issue or the best my machine will do??

i-pqwHSXM-L.jpg

Another side of wallet (Bottom Stitch)

i-h93fGLJ-L.jpg

Close-up of backstitching on top

i-ghgPtk4-L.jpg

Backstitching on Bottom

i-fhG5Jb5-L.jpg

Use #92 on the bottom, instead of 138. The knots will be easier to hide and it won't bunch up as much. I do most of my wallets using #92 top and bottom. For this size thread I would recommend a #19 needle.

Edited by Wizcrafts

I think I have figured out through reading around the forum that I will do my backstitching by hand. I made another wallet this afternoon and this is my result. Looks a lot better. I still got my curves to focus on but I will get there.

i-3qLpLmK-L.jpg

Bottom

i-9QP8xcx-L.jpg

Looks better! I agree with Wiz and think you should try a smaller needle. If your needle hole is too big, your tension will be hard to keep constant. I think it will help your corners too. Your last effort is a nice improvement though.

Regards, Eric

You might want to experiment with reducing your presser foot pressure at well.

Thanks everyone! I will try all these suggestions.