Had someone bring in a Sig 238 yesterday that did not want to leave it. I compared it to the 938 and to the eye it looked the same. I did not measure though. Other than the barrel sticking out, could the 238 holster be molded off of the 938?

Sig is a chore to work with. The early 238's were changed a couple of years ago to a thicker slide dimension. So you have to know which 238 you have to make a holster for one. I do not know whether the newer thicker 238 is the same as the 938 just knowing Sig I doubt it.

I've seen them interchanged. For me, I thought the 238 was a tad slimmer, but that could have simply been machining tolerances (no, I don't believe that, but it is possible).

Do you have the dummy for the 9mm? IF IT WAS ME, I'd probably make the holster for the 938 the same as always, maybe even git "fancy" and cut it 3/8" shorter on the muzzle end. Have the guy drop the 238 in and see how he likes the fit.

Now, all that would be my choice, simply because:

Ideally, a guy could buy the 238 dummy gun (seriously, we're only talkin $50). BUT, if it's the same, then you didn't really need to buy that, organize that, store that.... IF on the other hand it's not the same, does not 'guarantee' the fit. I've seen Ring's guns that measured as much as .03" UNDERSIZE for the gun they represent. While the leather will accomodate that difference, it does defeat the purpose of buying the second gun.

When I looked at the blue gun and his gun, there was a slight difference in the slide with a micrometer. Did not write the number down though.

I think I will draw the patterns off of the blue gun and just get his to mold the holsters just to be safe. I told him I would need the gun for a day or two if I had any doubts.

Might make a third and mold it to mine and see if it works or not. Just a curious person that a way. If it dont work then it will be called a 938. I take projects like that and just sell them on ebay. I have two orders as a result of my most recent ebay "sell"

Thanks again.

started on them this morning and it dawned on me .....they would would be to short to make into 938 holsters if I did not like them........

Well, from an investment standpoint, things that don't go well cost some money and some time. But this (and holsters in general) is a simple job. For the sig, if you're using THE top shelf leather, total investment including dye and thread is like .. $6-ish (allowing a bit of waste). And you wouldn't have to invest a lot of time to go far enough with it to see if it's going to work. Some things, just gotta write 'em off to experience and move on.

Having said all that, I talked to another holster maker I know yesterday. He agrees that the 238 is thinner, and will not stay in a holster made for the 938 (and the 938 doesn't go in a holster formed to teh 238).

I can check for you tonight. I have both and a 938 holster sitting on my bench so I'll see how the 238 fits.

The 938 appears to be longer and the slide is different in thickness and height.

yes It dont work.

I made the pattern off of the 938 and he said I could get the gun to mold the two holsters