rubinshazi

Junker & Ruh Sd 28 Shuttle Problem

Hello. Just assembled my machine. Didnt try it at the time that eas purchased as it was really rusty. So went straight to restauration. The only problem im having now is the shuttle. It does not pick up the thread when i want to stitch a piece of leather. If i operate it empty it picks the thread ok. Any suggestions. Thanks. Rubin

Make sure you are fully stroking the arm and move the arm a little faster and decisively. Mine will mis-stitch if the lever falls short at all on the end of the stroke.

Edited by electrathon

hello, i've had the exact same problem: bought one used, took it apart, put it back together again and the thread would only lock when operated empty. don't worry if the shutter just loosely sits there, that's on purpose. what you need to do is to fiddle with the thread tensions. first the upper: make sure the tension wheel works fine (mine wouldn't spin because of the rust) and then adjust the thread tension. it needs to be fairly strong; so that the needle bends slightly when pulling on the thread. do the same with the shuttle thread. then you take two thick layers of leather and make sure to put the upper thread under the presser foot away from the direction of sewing. also make sure to bolt down the machine onto a table so you can hold and guide the piece while sewing, the transport is nowhere near as accurate as a walking foot. i hope this works for you. it did for me.

if the problem persists, make sure your needle/thread is sized correctly and the machine's threading is according to the manual.

Edited by chgehrig

by the way, does anybody know the thickness of the front cover plate for needles 7 and 8? i only have the 5/6 and plan to grind that down because i will be sewing very thick thread..