I am looking for some used European style pricking irons, 7 stitches/inch and 10 stitches per inch, not too particular on which, and would consider other sizes if the price is right. If you are looking for other tools or leather, perhaps we could work a trade. (I have caimen, ostrich pieces, veg tan, chrome tan, many tools) PM me if you have some you would like to be rid of!

YinTx

Hey YinTx -- on the off chance you haven't looked at the Chinese irons, you ought to give them a look. There's a number of eBay sellers. Here's the one I went with.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item5d540a5045

I bought the 4, 5, and 6 mm sets (that's 12 irons all together) for $40. Yeah, forty bucks. They arrived just a couple days ago (took a month), so I only have a little bit experience using them, but so far I'm VERY pleased with them. And at that price? THRILLED with them. Check out Nigel Armstrong's review on these irons -- he gives a thumbs up and that's saying a lot.

Left off the video link. Here ya go... And make that "Armitage" not Armstrong :-)

I agree it is a great deal and that they work well, but they really aren't pricking irons. I think YinTX is looking for an iron to mark the leather for punching with an awl only.

That's right they are different. Just offering another option based on my experience using these relatively knew and unknown irons. I don't have anything against the prick/awl method when it comes to making stitch holes except that it's hard as crap and and time consuming and error prone.

Foregoing the excitement of prick/awl stiching, I've ventured out and tried my Chinese Irons using the Arbor Press ($40 Harbor Freight) method and am quite pleased with this approach. For those of you who are experimenters and in the Punch Camp of Stitch Hole Theory, spring $5 and buy yourself one 6-Prong Chinese Stitching Iron. Buy the round shaft style so you won't have to grind the iron to fit your Arbor Press as I had to.

Slide the iron into the press, set the proper angle and lock it down. You now now have a "Stitch Hole Punching Machine." I've been playing with this setup for a couple days now and love it. Only thing better would be someobody else doing it (I've never liked this step). The stitch holes are perfectly straight up and down. The diamond angle is perfect placed and uniform from the first to the last hole. The holes are punched all the way through in one pass, landing exactly on the stitch lines, both front and back (up to 1/2" thickness). It is boring though -- set, press, set, press, set press, perfect hole, perfect hole.

Cseeger and Tugadude,

Yes, I am actually looking for both styles. There are some instances where I would like to use the "hole punch" style irons, so I appreciate the link and the review of the irons that do this. I will probably get some. I did watch all of Armitage's videos as they covered exactly what I am trying to understand.

Most of the time, I would like to use the awl version, so I needed a pricking iron that marks an angled slot style mark on the leather. I believe this will help me with controlling the angle of my awl when piercing the leather to make the back of my stitching look more consistent. There are many items I plan to make where using a hole punch method will be unwieldy at best, and some of the thread sizes I plan to use (such as Fil Au Chinois 432 and smaller) will not work well with the large holes the punches leave, so I need to improve my hand stitching to the point of perfection.

To this end, I have ordered some Osbourne and some Dixons, and eventually may break down and get some Blanchards for the smaller work, we will see.

If anyone has in between sizes they are interested in selling, I am still interested!

Thanks again,

YinTx

That's right they are different. Just offering another option based on my experience using these relatively knew and unknown irons. I don't have anything against the prick/awl method when it comes to making stitch holes except that it's hard as crap and and time consuming and error prone.

Foregoing the excitement of prick/awl stiching, I've ventured out and tried my Chinese Irons using the Arbor Press ($40 Harbor Freight)[/size] method and am quite pleased with this approach. For those of you who are experimenters and in the Punch Camp of Stitch Hole Theory, spring $5 and buy yourself one 6-Prong Chinese Stitching Iron. Buy the round shaft style so you won't have to grind the iron to fit your Arbor Press as I had to.

Slide the iron into the press, set the proper angle and lock it down. You now now have a "Stitch Hole Punching Machine." I've been playing with this setup for a couple days now and love it. Only thing better would be someobody else doing it (I've never liked this step). The stitch holes are perfectly straight up and down. The diamond angle is perfect placed and uniform from the first to the last hole. The holes are punched all the way through in one pass, landing exactly on the stitch lines, both front and back (up to 1/2" thickness). It is boring though -- set, press, set, press, set press, perfect hole, perfect hole.

Cool idea! I'm going to try it, the press I mean. Especially for long runs. Would be a lot quieter too!

I tried the Japanise Irons and Tandy Craft tool irons. They both broke. I just sent for a set of Vergez Blanchard irons from Rocky Mountain Leather, They give you a break if you buy a pair, I purchased the # 5 iron with 6 teeth and the # 5 with 2 teeth $169. It is a lot of money, but I would rather buy to last. I hope they will.

Jim

I bought the European style from Goods Japan, almost lasted two wallets before breaking. I didn't like the stitch either. I purchased some diamond hole LC Diamond Hole Punch PRO from leathercraftools.com, very happy with them, strong and they pull out easily. I think the 6 tooth was around $11, and they came in two weeks. Hope this helps, Garry.

Maybe a silly question, but could you not only buy the chisel type and just lightly hit it to mark holes then come back with awl?  Then one tool would cover both options.  

I guess I have been lucky, I have both chisels sawia and craft sha from goods Japan and cheep ones from amazon and have yet to brake any of em. 

1 hour ago, Brianm77 said:

Maybe a silly question, but could you not only buy the chisel type and just lightly hit it to mark holes then come back with awl?  Then one tool would cover both options.  

I guess I have been lucky, I have both chisels sawia and craft sha from goods Japan and cheep ones from amazon and have yet to brake any of em. 

That's what I have been doing. Still waiting on my Wutas. Dang slow boat from China. But free shipping, that's something.

6 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

That's what I have been doing. Still waiting on my Wutas. Dang slow boat from China. But free shipping, that's something.

China free shipping has taken up to three months for me, I was pleasantly surprised that Japan shipping only took three weeks.

3 minutes ago, Bigfoote said:

China free shipping has taken up to three months for me, I was pleasantly surprised that Japan shipping only took three weeks.

He's pretty good about it. He lets you know it will take awhile. I have several of his templates. I like them quite a bit. The wait isn't that bad, if you know it's part of the deal up front.

5 minutes ago, Brianm77 said:

I have placed several orders from goods Japan and all have been between 2 and 3 weeks

I have been using https://leathercrafttools.com haven't bought a lot but the stitching chisels were awesome! 3 weeks delivery.

I wanted a tool that would go through all the way.I was making a holster for a digging tool that I wanted to lace. I just purchased the wrong tool.  I am new to leather working and didn't know what tool to buy at the time. I just purchased a Blanchard # 5 and # 2 I will only mark the leather with this one, and use an awl. I realize I was using the wrong tool for the job. When I first started I never thought that I would spend this much money on leather tools. I wanted to make a belt, LOL I am afaird to look over the receipts that I have from the tools that I purchased. I am sure you all know what I am talking about. I think I like buying tools as much as I like working with leather.

Jim

Oh I had it ... it's european pricking iron is a name for a chisel iron. It has 2 and 6 branches. It's high quality in their price. Hii
Edited by LeoHachi