Sign in to follow this  
avimeso

441 Thread And Lube Question

Hi Im doing saddlery. im running 346/277 nylon with a 230 needle. Whats the difference between poly and nylon? is one better then the other? Durability wise in the leather and on the machine?

I have a lube pot and was wondering should I run silcon lube or not?

Im also looking for a place to get some thread over that is good quality. my thread is from weaver atm.

thanks

Polyester is more or less sun proof. I've had issues with nylon deteriorating that I used on a Harley tank bib. The bike is parked out in the sun much of the time. I replaced the stiches with poly and after a year they are still like new. I found the price is near the same and depending on the tread size, most colors are available for the poly.

jr

Nylon has higher tensile strength, but it is not as UV resistant as polyester. Things like awning and boat upholstery use polyester thread. Most indoor furniture uses nylon because of its strength. Most saddlers I know use Nylon.

my experience also is most saddlers use nylon. however our hand sewing thread is braided polyester. I wasn't sure if nylon was used because it was cheaper.