Devanet

Embossing Machine And Rolls

We are a UK manufacturer of belts and we are looking for an embossing machine hand driven or motorised as well as the facility to supply embossing rolls.

We will consider a used machine, can anyone help with this enquiry please?

Edited by Devanet

Thank you very much for your help, we will look at the options. Tandy in the UK do not have the embosser that is on ebay

Devanet,

There are a couple of embossing machines available. Campbell Randall in Yokum, Texas makes an industrial quality powered machine.

http://www.campbell-randall.com/machines/leather-goods-machines/embossing-machine/model-r-32-rotary-embossing-machine/

They can also supply roller embossing wheels. I’m not sure of the pricing but have seen the machines operating. Very high end machine for production work.

There is a hand operated machine being sold by Millers Wholesale Harness. I haven’t seen it but I’ve seen pictures and it looks like it is well made. They also have solid brass embossing rolls. We have a few of their rolls, they are very high quality. They are Amish and do not have a website or a telephone. I think the only way that they can be contacted is by mail. There address is: 350 Spruce Pine Road, Columbia KY 42728.

We originally had one of the Tandy machines. It was hard to get a decent impression. The embossing rolls had a small outside diameter 1-1/4” to 1-1/2”. We weren’t happy with the results and sold it.

We eventually found a 100 year old hand powered machine made by F.K. Russell with several old embossing rolls. Machines and embossing rolls were made by Russell, as well as McMillen and C.S. Osborne many years ago. If you can come across one of these, they are great machines. It’s very hard to find the old embossing rolls but the rolls from Miller Harness will work in the old machines. We’ve tried the composite rollers but find the steel and brass rollers give a much deeper impression.

Great thank you very much, we will contact Campbell Randall, we much appreciate everyone who have offered their help - there aren't many people producing these machines anymore - yet we have regular enquiries for embossed belts.

Has anyone got experience with one of these machines, techniques to get best results - some colleagues have suggested wetting the top surface and applying heat?

Edited by Devanet

The answer to your question really depends on your desired use and result. If I hear heat I'm thinking of color, gold and whatever application. All of this would rule out the hand-operated machines unless there is some sort of electrical heat hooked up to it. If you are doing large quantities you might want to check with this UK company http://www.pw-merkle.co.uk/leather_cutting.htm.

Also for the wetting part I would say yes, for sure with the hand-operated machines. I would try both methods first before running any sort of series. And just because this company is based in Europe which might save taxes and customs fees http://www.pethardware.com/en/embossing-rolls-machine/ I'm adding this link.

I forgot to mention that the CZ store has it from Ivan. You'll find that here http://www.ivan.tw/index.php?route=product/product/detail&id=9727. Orders below $5000 will be subject to a surcharge. It may be worth it if you want to add all the embossing rolls as well.

Edited by Thor

I have a machine that I had made (Along with the embossing rolls) by a guy here in New Zealand. He made the rolls (two) out of a brass material which has lasted the distance. They were not cheap but are not the cast wheels and leave a very distinct, sharp and irreversible pattern.

Here is a photo of the machine which is a cheap rolling mill from India.

I have an inch and a half and a two and a quarter inch roller for trouser and police/security belts. I line the belts which makes them very heavy and very nice.

Good luck in your quest

Cheers

Trevor

"Way Down Under"

post-2565-0-12560400-1427102948_thumb.jp

post-2565-0-13545100-1427103220_thumb.jp

post-2565-0-86370100-1427103367_thumb.jp

post-2565-0-91919000-1427103634_thumb.jp

Great looking belts Trevor, your machine looks very sturdy and well made, thank you for the information. We have found a person to make the rolls in brass for us now, we just need a good quality machine , so looking at all the options. David

Edited by Devanet

Thank you, Thor have contacted Ivan leather to see what they can offer.

You might try BEILERS MFG. & SUPPLY, with warehouse at 3025 Harvest Dr., Ronks, Pa. 17572 or manufacturing at 290 S. Groffdale Rd., Leola, Pa.

Phones: Office and warehouse; 717-768-0174 and manufacturing at 717-656-2179.

It is my understanding that hey make the machines offered by the Amish and they are, indeed, very well made. I have one that I purchased from Millers and am very pleased. They also have a great selection of brass rolls that are superb.

I have seen anew machine by Beilers and it has an open end shaft that mat allow larger rolls to be used.

God Bless.

Ray

The Tandy embossing machine ( that's the model 3800) pictured above on the e-Bay link has been the subject of a voluntary recall by Tandy because of inconsistent construction by their factory in China. Many machines were just not working. So I'll suggest people keep away from that model until the production problem is solved. It's too bad. They'd hoped that the new model would fix the problem with their previous embosser.

That explains why I cant find ANY of the belt embossing products on tandy's site. Anyone happen to have the diminsions for the older model 3800 rollers? I am going to see about playing with electoetching some designs on blank rollers im having a friend make, but not sure how big of diamater roller the machine can handle? I know that the inside hole is 1" and i believe the key channel is 3/16 wide, but thats about it...

The largest diameter roll I have from the evil empire is at 1 5/8". The rolls from Bunkhouse Tools weigh in at 1 7/8" and larger and don't generally work on the empire's machine.

I keep threatening to make some embossing rolls but have been just too busy with regular stamps to get into any new developments. Cheers!

I have been working with leather for a long time I have even tand Dear Elke  birds small game the old ways. Every thing I know I learned how to do was on my won & studying how thing's was put together. I make Vest Holster's  Knives & knife sheath and what don't exsect For people who need it. There is more.

Robert H Hartson   

I know this is an old topic but am bored today and thought I would just chime in. I have one of those hand crank units from Tandy. I do not use it much, but it works fine, after fidgeting with it to get it all adjusted right. I once had the whole thing spring apart halfway through a belt! My fault for not assembling it properly! The bronze embossing wheels are expensive, not really that great in the quality of it's imprints and not much of a variety out there. Wet press is the only way to get a proper emboss. About a year (2007 or so) after I bought it Tandy came out with an open end powered unit but a recent visit to the local store revealed the employees knew very little about either tool and they did not carry them. They did however have a Tippman Boss that I drooled over for awhile before the price tag shocked me back to the reality that I must hand sew for the time being  LOL.

There is a guy on Etsy from Varna, Bulgaria who produces embossing rollers and they are crisp. He makes them out of brass. He also makes flat stamps out of brass but also stainless steel, I don't know if he will make the rollers out of SS or not, but you can ask him. He will get back to you pretty quick. The name of his site is LeatherStampTools and the stuff of his on Etsy is amazing. His name is Sergey.

Sergey, is on this forum.

I have just had an excellent experience getting a custom stamp made by him.

Best

H

I saw his Etsy while trying to find a hand crank machine.

Anyone have any recent leads on ones that aren't $900 shipped right out of China?