Tugadude

Wet Forming Cup

This cup was custom made approx. 30 years ago. It is a dice cup and appears to be seamless. Could it really have been cased and formed? I've seen leather washers and bottoms for dice cups that were formed, but they are shallow, no more than 1" deep.

This cup was made by a Texan by the name of Pressley Guitar. I have no contact info for him so cannot ask him directly.

Thanks for any input!

post-60051-0-80629300-1427055925_thumb.j

post-60051-0-15772400-1427055950_thumb.j

I am not sure he is still alive or not. But Pressley Guitar was the maker of high quality coin tricks and gaffs. His pieces are still prized among those in the business of "Illusion and misdirection ". The deepest round piece I have ever wet formed was 2 inches deep and 4.5" in dia. Maybe others will have more input. Cheers Eccho

I met him many years ago. He had a booth at a magic convention that I attended. His work was impeccable! He made a wand that screwed together in the middle that is much prized. I heard he is still around but doesn't have much to do with magic anymore.

This cup was custom made approx. 30 years ago. It is a dice cup and appears to be seamless. Could it really have been cased and formed? I've seen leather washers and bottoms for dice cups that were formed, but they are shallow, no more than 1" deep.

This cup was made by a Texan by the name of Pressley Guitar. I have no contact info for him so cannot ask him directly.

Thanks for any input!

I've been wet forming veg tanned leather for 50 years or so and have never seen anything like this before. Please don't laugh at my response, I'm serious. Were I required to do this, I'd start with veg tanned bull scrotums of varying sizes to attain the finished I needed, one fitting into the other. Then I'd make a male and a female matched aluminum mold which had minimal draft and the female could be separated into two pieces to remove the leather from it's form. It would take a proper press capable of developing several thousand pounds of pressure to accomplish the task. Relief holes in the female and male form would have to be engineered to help the excess compressed water to escape. The scrotums would necessarily be required to remain in the press and under pressure for some time (several hours depending). Then again there is the possibly more obvious solution which the Germans developed during WW2 to make synthetic leather from ground up powdered leather held together with a latex binder. They used this process they developed to cover books during the war. Today it's made in South America and it's called Recouro. I've used it extensively in some of the work I do. Many tons of it.

Hope this helps. Personally I'd prefer the bull scrotum solution.

Dewey,

You are on the right track.

Any deer male scrotum can be used to form a cup.

Remove the scrotum after the kill and clean it by removing the testicles and any flesh and blood.

Salt the scrotum lavishly and "pull" it over a coke can or beer bottle - to form the cup.

Leave to dry as you would do with any hide. After a week you can remove the can or bottle and it should keep its shape.

Let it dry out and then you can use it as a "cup", but don't think you can pour liquids into it!

The "cup' can be used as a dice rolling prop etc.