tomt

Japanes Leather Working Books

I would like to know if the pattern in the leather working books are to size thank you

Well i guess nobody knows

Perhaps you should post the actual title of the book you are refering to. I'm pretty sure there isn't just one japanese leatherworking book, and I bet some are to scale and some not. Most patterns will say right on it the scale factor.

Its not that no-one knows, You just need a little more detail for us to go on.

The reason i ask is, A pattern for a wallet in a book is likely to be actual size where as a pattern for a briefcase likely is scaled down, unless the book has pull out folded full sized patterns. There are quite a few books on Goods Japan, and they appear to range from scale pattern collections to encyclopedias of techniques. Just like english books, they may, in the text specify an enlargement ratio to set a photocopier to when making a pattern copy. In the japanese text around or on the pattern, look for a percentage or 2 measurements separated by either an equals sign or a colon. This could be the scale.

Uhh...I own quite a few of the books (except I bought mine from leathercrafttools.com because they don't gouge on shipping) and they are ALL (in case that wasn't clear in my previous post) to actual scale and yes, they are large patterns folded up to fit in the book.

tinker tailor thanks for response the books I have is basic technics of leather craft the other book I have is in japaness and I don't know how to read 25b thanks for the answer I was looking at the billfolds and have not seen the pockets cut but I look quick I will look again to see I can fine them thank you guys

I gave you the above info, specifically on tips to find the scale in a foreign language pattern or book to aid you in your further adventures into foreign language craft books. There are lots....Goods japan is the tip of the iceburg....I have pdf's with patterns from 100 year old french and spanish craft books.

Here are a couple links to free english ones:
https://archive.org/details/leathercraftfora006855mbp

https://archive.org/details/leatherwork00wils

I personally don't use patterns from books, so i don't have alot of experience with which books have scale patterns. I make my own full sized patterns from existing items, or out of thin air from and my own ideas and some research. I do have a large library of craft encyclopedias, covering alot more than just leather for reference. I have found that the beginner books tend to have full sized patterns, whereas encyclopedias have measurements beside a scaled drawing. I guess the assumption is that as you get better, you don't need as many steps in the directions, you would rather them cram more info into the book. Old school guys can look at something once and then copy it.

I was looking around at the books on both goods japan and leathercrafttools.com and they appear to have slightly different offerings, goods japan sometimes having a higher price on something they both offer, However goods japan does have an ebay store with free shipping and cheaper prices than their site.

thank you for info

I've seen more than one wallet on this site that was obviously made exactly from a pattern, and the pieces don't fit. Its not the fault of the pattern, or the worker in alot of cases. It is due to the leather changing shape, either through shrinking from casing, stretching from handling or just being from different parts of the hide. Learning how to adjust as you go is part of the secret to well constructed items. Making your own patterns, or scaling them yourself helps build this skill.

One time years ago I was doing a project out of some thinner 1-2 oz, probably belly scraps cause i was cheap. I punched out the stitch holes at night from the pattern. By the morning one of the pieces had shrunk lengthwise enough that 6 stitches an inch turned into almost 8. I had stretched it through handling and punched it while stretched. Bellys can move alot......

No prob on the tips, If none share what they know, we will eventually all know nothing.

Edited by TinkerTailor

i gave tboyce a few patterns to rework and resize a few months ago from those books.

and he said that he would put those on site when he was finished reworking them.

Thanks

I forgot to mention, some countries have bills that are shorter in length. You should also check before you get to far that the wallet was designed for american money. For instance, British money ranges from 135-160mm or so wide and american is 190mm approx. This means i have to fold money i put into the wallet i got in the UK. In italy i was in a handbag and wallet store in Firenze that had them sorted by currency size. Actually put money onto unknown wallet patterns to double check before you cut any hide.