@ Monica - Those look awesome!

I've thought about making some for the wife as a surprise, but as difficult as it is for me to get the fit just right on my own I don't know how I'd ever get them right without being able to fit them.

To those of you who have done this, do you find the leather soles too hard? I've made a couple pairs of sandals. The first I was not happy with at all. The second was a simple pair of flip flops that, while they look good, the strap design I used along with the weight makes them feel insecure while walking (big feet don't help). I used 8/9oz leather as the footbed on top of a 1/4" 50 durometer crepe sole. I thought the crepe would be more comfortable, but I still find them too hard when walking on tile/concrete. My thoughts now are to use a thinner hard outsole and some softer 30/35 durometer midsole. I hate to keep buying material without knowing exactly how hard it is though as it gets expensive when it doesn't work out.(

My other thought is to incorporate a bit of arch support.

Edited by hackaday

This looks great - can'take wait to try! Thanks for putting the energy into making and sharing. You've earned some major karma points. Lol.

@ The Don -- Man those look great. On the first pair, how did you inlay that upper layer? Looks sharp. And on the second pair, how did you secure the toe stem? It really likes nice without a visible sew line. Impressive, all the way around.

Very cool, I like the shield shape on the black and brown ones.

@ The Don -- Man those look great. On the first pair, how did you inlay that upper layer? Looks sharp. And on the second pair, how did you secure the toe stem? It really likes nice without a visible sew line. Impressive, all the way around.

The first pair upper layer is a really thin layer of leather contact cemented to some 6/7 oz. I didn't stitch that.

Great tutorial, thought I would give it a try. First attempt isn't to bad. Kept it simple for the first go around, plenty of room for improvement.

Brian

post-18932-0-10448700-1433195970_thumb.j

post-18932-0-14104800-1433195989_thumb.j

Thanks for posting this, I think my wife will be very happy. When I get a round tuit

Thank you. I had several cork tiles laying around so I thought it might make for a cushy sole.

Does anyone have a good source for sole rubber?

Brian

http://www.acor.com/

Thank you. I had several cork tiles laying around so I thought it might make for a cushy sole.

Does anyone have a good source for sole rubber?

Brian

http://www.acor.com/

I had previously got some from SoleTech also, but it's hard to find a distributor for them besides Ebay. Acor has a much better selection also.

I just about have my latest pair finished. Just need to edge and burnish them.

Thanks Hackaday. I will check out their products.

Brian

Finished up my latest pair. These have a layer of 30-35 durometer foam midsole (2 layers under the back to give a little bit of rise to the arch) with an 80 or 90 durometer outsole. The soft foam was much softer than I thought it would be and I was concerned it would compress too much, but hopefully it will just conform to the foot nicely.

post-40329-0-82929600-1434070349_thumb.j
post-40329-0-85731500-1434070350_thumb.j
post-40329-0-91899600-1434070351_thumb.j

Every time I look at flip flops of any strap construction I wonder about the placement. I think there has to be the ideal place for the strap to be for a secure fit, otherwise, why go custom? Generic, Ross Outlet would suffice. On a $185 custom sandal, what make this particular set SUPER comfortable and worth the money? Where should the straps be on the foot bone structure for perfection? After all, I don't have to settle for one placement fits all if I am making them, right?

This question has plagued me from the first thought of making sandals.

Ideal placement of straps really depends on the shape of the foot they're going on. Arch height, width, length, toe placement, heel depth, they're different for every person and what fits great on one will be uncomfortable for another and not just because of the size.

I remember going to a renaissance faire and there was a custom boot maker that was doing booming business despite his boots being well over $100. (can't remember the exact price, it was some years ago) Why were they going for so much with a line around the tent even though you didn't walk away with a pair of boots? Because the cobbler would take your measurements and make a "duct tape cast" of both your feet (did you know that lots of people have one leg shaped differently than the other? That also applies to feet) and he would make a pair of boots that were the perfect fit the instant you put them on, and they looked it. You'd pay up, get your fit taken, and a few days later show back up and pick up your boots (or have them delivered to you if you were only in town for the day).

In any case, that was a long-winded way of saying that a truly custom shoe/sandal is different for every person, and to some people the cost and effort are worth it.

To give you some idea of what goes into fitting ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONZbrTW576A

Needless to say, a flip-flop, sandal or shoe would likely have some measurements that would be different from these (such as placement of the toe-thong in a flip-flop), there would also be much that's alike.

Bill

Thanks so much!!