@ Hacakady -- those look great. I too have been working on incorporating arch support and heel. I like yours better.

Thanks a lot! I was going to try an arch "disc" like you see on Rainbow's and such, but decided that would give me too much room to mess up. :lol:

Every time I look at flip flops of any strap construction I wonder about the placement. I think there has to be the ideal place for the strap to be for a secure fit, otherwise, why go custom? Generic, Ross Outlet would suffice. On a $185 custom sandal, what make this particular set SUPER comfortable and worth the money? Where should the straps be on the foot bone structure for perfection? After all, I don't have to settle for one placement fits all if I am making them, right?

This question has plagued me from the first thought of making sandals.

For me, making them myself is just a matter of none of the ones in the store fitting. I have narrow feet, so they are usually way too wide (finding boots that fit is a chore in itself). The straps are almost always too big too, so they don't feel secure whatsoever. The prices they want for those things is crazy too. $40 for some rubber and a couple pieces of fake leather. I tend to place the straps further back. My thinking is that on a bigger foot, this will help keep them in place. Whether I'm right or not, who knows.

Strap placement, for me, is one of the worst parts. Trying to get them tight enough to be secure, but loose enough to be comfortable. Then getting the pair to fit the same. Drives me bonkers. The other thing was finding a sole shape that fit my foot, without looking goofy. I can't even count how many I went through. I'm pretty happy with this one, but still have a small tweek I want to make. I'm just scared to mess it up more than I fix it haha.

I really wish I could find a suitable material for doing test runs. This is my third pair of sandals (2nd flops) and this is the first pair I'm actually happy enough with to wear. That doesn't count what I've wasted on mess ups.

Edited by hackaday

What about making mock ups out of cardboard and ribbon for the straps just to get the general feel/look of it?

Hackaday,

Thank you for the reply, that is just what I am talking about. There has to be "rules" somewhere for proper fit and placement without reinventing the wheel. I am very interested in your findings as you work it out. Perhaps using bone structure as a guide?

Thanks for all of the photos and the tutorial. I'm a newbie to the group. My wife mentioned the other day about making a pair of flip flops. This thread has got me thinking.... We use fish leather and it is so incredibly strong....the wolffish is a skin fish with no scale pattern. I'm gonna try this as the top layer and see what happens. Will post photos when finished. Happy July 4th ya'all....

@okiwen -- Yeah, seems like there should be some sort of ergonomic formula. There are zillions of such formulas and standards for things like chairs and cabinets and lord knows what all. I just used an old pair of flops as a guide and adjusted from there.

@monicajacobsen -- Was just looking back on everyone's pics. I have to say, once more, these are just terrific and your entry is hereby awarded the "Best Design In 90 Days Trophy".

@Everybody Else -- Hey, I didn't know there was a contest going on either.

Screenshot 2015 07 04 23.18.11

Trophy

Those are awesome I want to make a pair.

Edited by mustangman2

LOL, I am very flattered. I will treasure that trophy forever.

Just saw these posts the other day!

I really need to search around this site better.

Has anyone tried latigo for the straps?

I was wondering if the chrome tanned leather would cause problems on bare skin?

Also I can't seem to download the tutorial. Has anyone else had this problem?

It keeps telling me I am not logged on!

@JamesR -- Check your mail. Left you a copy. Not sure why you weren't able download. Seems to be working now though.

Edited by cseeger

Thanks for all the work that went into providing the tutorial/pattern. I'm looking forward to making a pair! One thing I noticed (because I'm weird that way)... is page 9 missing? Not the physical page, but the numbered page 9. Don't want to miss anything important!

Thanks again!

!!!!!!!! DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have a winner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There were TWO secret contests going on at once.

Monica Jacobsen won the "Best Design in 90 Days" Secret Contest.

And now.....our latest winner

B O B H A L L

From Central Texas

Congratulations Bob!

You have won

$$$$$$ TWENTY FIVE UNITED STATES DOLLARS $$$$$$

backed by gold bullion reserves and credited to your account at

SPRINGFIELD LEATHER COMPANY

"If They Ain't Got It, You Don't Need It"!

What the heck did he do?

It has been exactly 105 days since the Tutorial was first available for download. Since then, 618 people have downloaded the tutorial, actually more like 608 -- I've downloaded 10 times myself because I can never find it on my hard drive. Let's just say over 600 downloads, and that makes this the all time best seller Flip Flops Tutorial in the history of Leatherworker.net! It's also the only Flips Flops Tutorial on Leatherworker.net. It has been read and re-read, pages flipped back and forth, and where the heck is page number 9????????????

There is no page number 9.

Right after I uploaded the tutorial and was stroking my ego and counting up the future Karma, then I noticed it...dammit!!! I hadn't renumbered the pages after a major reshuffle. Ordinarily that would not be a big deal, except I was sick of working on it and each page is a Gimp graphic file that has to be converted to a .jpg and then all the .jpgs assembled in Power Point then converted all together into a PDF...

Then I came up with a brilliant idea. Forget about it. I also bet my wife $25 nobody would notice, and if someone did, they would get an Editor Contest Prize. My wife was thrilled to be right and funded the award.

This is one time I'm happy to be wrong. Go back and read his comment. If anyone was going to catch this, it was gonna be Bob. Just goes to show you, that quirky trait of yours? You just never know -- you too might strike it rich.

Congratulations again Bob!!!!!

CLAP ~ CLAP ~ CLAP ~ CLAP ~ CLAP ~ CLAP

Are you going to renumber the pages? No.

Are there going to be any more edit contests? No

Does Bob have to claim this on his Income Tax? No

Are there going to be any more Design Contests? YES

How come Monica didn't win a cash prize? ......

Edited by cseeger

Yay me! Thank you so much! And I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss a step or two, which I sometimes do...lol. Thank you!

cseeger,

Thanks, I got it now.

Jim

What is this witchery?!

I already printed the trophy as a poster and hung it over the fireplace, but I am very appreciative of the Gift Certificate. I think you're setting a dangerous precedent, Clyde!

post-38542-0-55882500-1436881644_thumb.j

"Dad Buy's A Souvenir" -- Tacky design inspired by the Great American Family Road Trip.

Ever wonder how artists come up with names for their creations and the source of their inspiration? They see just how ridiculous they can make something look after they've screwed it up. Then tack a name and inspiration source on it.

Road Trip

Dad Buys A Souvenir

cseeger

I am one of the many who have downloaded your pattern and would like to say a big "Thank You"

A couple of pictures of what I managed to create.

Flip Flops 3

Flip Flops 1

:drum: Voodoo Flops :drum:

Here's a pair made for a friend who went through a very tough three months of near death surgeries and complications and who's still not entirely out of the woods.

The tongue-in-cheek inspiration was that Western Medicine hadn't worked all that well for him and that maybe it's time he considered an alternative solution -- Voodoo Of Course!

I explained that his stylish Voodoo Flops where merely a housing for the powerful middle layer -- the Mojo Layer which can accommodate a maximum of three mojos. I selected the mojos for him since he was inaccessible and this was a rush. Health, Revenge, and Parking Space Luck

This is the second pair I've made using beads for the toe post and I'm sold on it. I like the slim profile looks wise and you can't beat the comfort. The beads swivel freely with the toes and that means no friction against the skin. I searched and searched and have yet to see this used as a treatment. Here's your chance to get on the next big thing in flops!

Another style change worth pointing out is attaching the straps flush to the sides of the sole rather than folding underneath. There are a few things I like about this. First, it's different, a lot different. Second, this allows placement of the straps much further back. Third, the combination of back placement and flush mounting on the sides of the soles via cutouts makes for a sleek, swept back, modern look versus the traditional rounded strap look.

This was a rush job or I would have taken more pictures to detail these features. But more flops are in the works and pictures coming soon.

post-39643-0-31895700-1437433731_thumb.j

post-39643-0-38910600-1437433734_thumb.j

Edited by cseeger

Ha, those are awesome. I also really like the Dad Buys a Souvenir ones. Richard, yours are cool and classic.

Haha they're awesome, I love the little skulls!