mliebs8

Problem with line 24 snaps

Do they make line 24 snaps with longer shafts? I'm making an IWB holster and used 6/7 for the support band around the the holster and the same size for the belt loop but the snap shafts are only sticking about about 1/32" and it looks like it's not going to work. How much of the shaft has to be sticking out to get a good set on the snap and if I trim the belt loop down a little bit would it still be thick enough for long term wear? I tried putting 2 pieces of 6/7 together and got the snap to set and I couldn't pull it apart by hand (they were small pieces 1"x1") but when I used pliers one side wouldn't come apart but the other side did (I used a moderate amount of force). Any help would be appreciated.

I found an Ebay seller, Zelidovitz Leathers (I think they're out of Canada) that has a nice assortment of line 24 snaps with 5/16" posts, and also some with other post lenths. Click here and do a search for "line 24". I've ordered from them, and been happy with what I got.

Kate

I have found that 1/16 proud of the surface is recomended on most snaps and rivets. I have used the french edger to slightly countersink around the snap or rivet post works pretty good without weakening the area to badly. My problem is usually the opposite the shaft is to long and I have to nip it off but then I get an unsightly dimple on the face of the snap. Hope this helps a bit.. Jordan

I'm with Jordan. I also will use a too that fits that area of the snap and tap it down, you don't want to mash the leather (may damage the grain side) but you want to try to compress it. Sometimes it works when you're already close. Good luck, GH

Good deal, thanks for the help.

I never quite got the hang of hand setting line 24 snaps. I've only used the snaps available through Tandy and destroyed a few projects after the snaps came apart. I invested in a hand press and line 24 dies. In my opinion, it was money well spent and I haven't had a problem setting snaps since.

Randy

Yeh, I started getting inventive with the tools I used to set them. I will use a center punch to start them them the mushrooming tool, have to watch the angle of force or you'll split them down one side and goes to heck on you. I have learned the word fineness applies to so many areas in our life.GH :bike:

If you want to "compress" the area before you add the snaps, I would wet the flesh side, then use a "C" Clamp to compress it. But you have to have another piece of leather on the grain side to keep it from getting compressed. Put the grain side to the grain side, and the flesh side to the "C" Clamp. You can also use a thin 2-3oz to put between the bottom disc and the flesh side, which you are compressing. You should be able to get a good compression and not dent the grain side.

Here is a small "C" Clamp, just so you know what to look for if you want one. They make them bigger.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Mini-C-Clamp-Heavy-Duty-All-Steel-Fits-in-Small-Spaces-1-1-2-Throat-/400660145730?hash=item5d4934a642:g:uTAAAOSwkZhWTxmj

Best of luck!

Bob

http://www.dotfasteners.com/index.html

They make different length posts.

I use the Press-n-snap tool, it works great.

Edited by JamesR