leathertoolz

Sharpening Round/head Knife In The Old Days...

Using Round/Head knife, I know that I have to sharpen the knives very very sharp.

I use Ceramic stones and White and Green Compound on strop.

I just had a curiosity about How the people in the past Sharpened their Round/Head knives to scary sharp?

I am sure they didn't have any good stones in the 1800s and early 1900s.

only Arkansas stones maybe? Was it enough for their knives?

Anyone knows the story?

Sharpening stones have been around for as long as metal tools. I bet someone has tried every type of stone in europe by now. Traditionally, sources of stone which produce keen edges would be treasured, and passed down.

From the wiki on sharpening stones:

"One of the most well-regarded natural whetstones is the yellow-gray "Belgian Coticule", which has been legendary for the edge it can give to blades since Roman times, and has been quarried for centuries from the Ardennes. The slightly coarser and more plentiful "Belgian Blue" whetstone is found naturally with the yellow coticule in adjacent strata; hence two-sided whetstones are available, with a naturally occurring seam between the yellow and blue layers. These are highly prized for their natural elegance and beauty, and for providing both a fast-cutting surface for establishing a bevel and a finer surface for refining it. This stone is considered one of the finest for sharpening straight razors."

Sharpening stones have been around for as long as metal tools. I bet someone has tried every type of stone in europe by now. Traditionally, sources of stone which produce keen edges would be treasured, and passed down.

From the wiki on sharpening stones:

"One of the most well-regarded natural whetstones is the yellow-gray "Belgian Coticule", which has been legendary for the edge it can give to blades since Roman times, and has been quarried for centuries from the Ardennes. The slightly coarser and more plentiful "Belgian Blue" whetstone is found naturally with the yellow coticule in adjacent strata; hence two-sided whetstones are available, with a naturally occurring seam between the yellow and blue layers. These are highly prized for their natural elegance and beauty, and for providing both a fast-cutting surface for establishing a bevel and a finer surface for refining it. This stone is considered one of the finest for sharpening straight razors."

Thank you for the reply.

I knew about the Belgium Sharpening stones but I was stupid to not think about it for this topic! : )

"Sharpening stones have been around for as long as metal tools." that make sense. they wouldn't have developed it if it's useless!

I am using an oilstone that was my Grandfather's. He passed it on to his Son, (logically enough), my Father. I inherited it in turn. I don't have any male children, but I do have a Son-in-law to whom I will leave all my tools, including the oilstone, and through him an 18 month old Grandson. Assuming it's not worn out by then.

So maybe not centuries, but you get the idea.

My apologies to any ladies who read this. There is no reason why they should not be able to use an oilstone and all the rest of it, but in this case my daughter has no interest whatsoever in such things.

Dating from times when people were less appreciative, there are statues, tombs and other stonework in English mediaeval churches that show considerable wear and erosion where they have been used to sharpen scythes, sickles, and almost certainly swords.

In the old days the stones they had would sharpen, just not as fast as the modern "stones". Also, steel hardness is far superior today then in the old days. Old steel was usually softer, so it sharpened easier, but often lost its edge sooner, so more touch ups were needed.

I am using an oilstone that was my Grandfather's. He passed it on to his Son, (logically enough), my Father. I inherited it in turn. I don't have any male children, but I do have a Son-in-law to whom I will leave all my tools, including the oilstone, and through him an 18 month old Grandson. Assuming it's not worn out by then.

So maybe not centuries, but you get the idea.

My apologies to any ladies who read this. There is no reason why they should not be able to use an oilstone and all the rest of it, but in this case my daughter has no interest whatsoever in such things.

Dating from times when people were less appreciative, there are statues, tombs and other stonework in English mediaeval churches that show considerable wear and erosion where they have been used to sharpen scythes, sickles, and almost certainly swords.

Thank you zuludog for the reply.

I would like to see that stone! Is it natural stone? or old Norton maybe? I bet It would so meaningful to you.

In the old days the stones they had would sharpen, just not as fast as the modern "stones". Also, steel hardness is far superior today then in the old days. Old steel was usually softer, so it sharpened easier, but often lost its edge sooner, so more touch ups were needed.

Thank you electrathon for the reply.

that makes sense. There were no S30Vs back then : )

This is a case where operator skill is more important than the abrasive object being used. My old stockman's pocket knife is always shaving sharp and all I ever use to sharpen it is a couple of Arkansas stones followed by a quick stropping on my boot top. My three brother in laws all carry high dollar "tactical" pocket knives which they attempt to sharpen on fancy Lansky setups, etc. Their knives are never what I would consider sharp. Of course in a "tactical" situation they may have me beat, as long they did not need a sharp knife. It is a matter of how much time you put into developing the skill to use the tools that are available not the tools that are available..

It is a matter of how much time you put into developing the skill to use the tools that are available not the tools that are available..

Wise words sir

This is a case where operator skill is more important than the abrasive object being used. My old stockman's pocket knife is always shaving sharp and all I ever use to sharpen it is a couple of Arkansas stones followed by a quick stropping on my boot top. My three brother in laws all carry high dollar "tactical" pocket knives which they attempt to sharpen on fancy Lansky setups, etc. Their knives are never what I would consider sharp. Of course in a "tactical" situation they may have me beat, as long they did not need a sharp knife. It is a matter of how much time you put into developing the skill to use the tools that are available not the tools that are available..

Thank you for the comment.

it's skill that matters! : )

Just been watching a TV programme about Stonehenge and its associated structures

In some burial mounds archaeologists have found bronze daggers and their whetstones dating from the early Bronze age, about 1800 to 1500 BC

A bit of Surfing shows that Whetstones dating from the same sort of period have been found in South East Asia, China, and Italy

Even before that, stone axes were shaped & polished by rubbing them against another stone.

So it would be pretty obvious that metal workers had a long history, experience, & tradition of sharpening things

The bottom of most ceramic dishes have an unglazed ceramic "ring" that is more or less the equivalent of manufactured ceramic sharpening stones. Embarrass your wife/friends by sharpening your dinner knife on the dishes while waiting on your order at a restaurant.