REN

Chinese High End Handmade Tool. Give Suggestions!

Yeah, same for me...for the prices that guy wants, I will be sticking with Vergez-Blanchard for my tools.

Well, to be honest Blanchard leaves a lot to be desired on a lot of their tools, so if this guy is offering something very well-made, then don't compare them just because of prices.

I'm not in the market for any of the tools he's offering at the moment, but if someone here buys some from him, and is will to share an objective or at least somewhat objective review then I wouldn't mind ordering from him in the future.

I wonder if he sells them cheaper in china?? I have a coworker from our partner company there... Maybe I can get him to help me... just a thought

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm just wondering if anyone has bought any of C Mason's tools yet and can attest to their quality. I'm in the market for some fine pricking Irons and I don't want to pay $300 for a set of Blanchard ones. or if anyone has Amy Roke irons?

So just in addition to my last post and possibly a word of warning. I ordered a set of C Mason's pricking irons off Etsy. The listing claimed same or next day shipping so I assumed he was making the Irons ahead of time and keeping them in stock. The day after I placed my order he wrote me a message on Etsy the day after I ordered (Tuesday) saying he would ship them in 24 hours. Thursday rolls around and he still hasn't sent them so I send him a message asking for an update...no response...Friday I send an order cancellation request to which he finally responds "why?". At this point I decide to purchase a set of Amy Roke Irons instead so I write him that I no longer require these tools, please refund my payment etc...

No response from him, on the weekend he sends me a message on Etsy again saying he will refund my payment but doesn't know how, I respond explaining how.... It's a week later, he still hasn't returned my money or made any effort to contact me. I currently have a paypal dispute/claim open to which he also has not responded.

Add me to the list for an order of pricking irons

can u let cmdachong make some tools for me, I lived in Shanghai...

I'm new to this forum and leather craft in general (I'm more of a woodworker), and since I'm looking at buying some tools I read through this entire thread.

9 months and, as far as I can tell, not one person has received a single tool. But clearly lots of interest by forum members.

I see quite a few eBay auctions with old random sets of Craftools go for $5 per tool. And I see the eBay listings for Chinese new tools (particularly thinking about bevelers and edgers) in the $2 to $5 range. Tandy tools are in the $20 range, smaller brands seem to start at $50 and go much higher.

Frankly I'm stuck. I don't want to buy poor quality tools, but I don't want to drop $500 initially either.

I'm new to this forum and leather craft in general (I'm more of a woodworker), and since I'm looking at buying some tools I read through this entire thread.

9 months and, as far as I can tell, not one person has received a single tool. But clearly lots of interest by forum members.

I see quite a few eBay auctions with old random sets of Craftools go for $5 per tool. And I see the eBay listings for Chinese new tools (particularly thinking about bevelers and edgers) in the $2 to $5 range. Tandy tools are in the $20 range, smaller brands seem to start at $50 and go much higher.

Frankly I'm stuck. I don't want to buy poor quality tools, but I don't want to drop $500 initially either.

If you are a woodworker, then you probably have a lot of basic tools already. As I tell everyone that is testing waters is to figure out what they want to make and then base new tool purchase on that project. I would not buy kits as they have things you might never use. Buy known brands if possible and buy used. I got most of my first tools on ebay and forums that were beat up and used. Still use them today because quality was great to start with. First good tool I bought new was a good awl and handle from fellow users here. It was best $70 I spent at that time. Having a sharp awl was awesome.

Then when/if you keep going with leather working, buy best you can afford, it will be worth it (for most part) - I am super disappointing from the new Blanchard #1 edger I got. My ebay #1 off brand edger does much better job. Some hand tools just cost a lot to begin with and Chinese versions are almost never a good alternative. I bought a belt end cutter for $10 on ebay a while ago and I laughed when I got it. It was such poor quality I literally just tossed it without even trying it out. It was just completely non symmetrical and dull and just horrible. I went and bought a CS Osborne for $60 that same afternoon. So sometimes you learn from mistakes :)

Edited by tossik

I recieved tools from cmdachong. I'm very impressed. Every tooth is polished to perfection. It comes right out when pricking. Dare I say it makes my $280 Blanchards look like CS Osborne Irons. Here is a photo sorry for the bad lighting. I paid $80 for a 2+7 tooth 9SPI Iron. Great deal. I will never use a blanchard iron again. 9SPI with 632 Lin Cable

R83bo4s.jpg

Edited by krominix

If you are a woodworker, then you probably have a lot of basic tools already.

Some hand tools just cost a lot to begin with and Chinese versions are almost never a good alternative. I bought a belt end cutter for $10 on ebay a while ago and I laughed when I got it. It was such poor quality I literally just tossed it without even trying it out. It was just completely non symmetrical and dull and just horrible. I went and bought a CS Osborne for $60 that same afternoon. So sometimes you learn from mistakes :)

Thank you for your response! I was actually surprised how few of my woodworking tools would be used in leather work. The only that seems directly useful would be my Tormek sharpening system. But I also have some tools for doing canvas work on my boat - a Pfaff 545 with servo-motor, the green (Chinese) QJ gromet hand press, and a Hoover Press-N-Snap - and those look directly usable. Especially since my first project is going to be a belt for my 3yo grandson. :) Oh, and I already have a strap cutter.

So...the takeaway I get from your post is...I really have to piece-meal a collection. I'm resigned to that, but I would really have preferred to not have to do that much research.

My first eBay leather tool arrived today - a 12 piece (Chinese) hollow leather punch set (1/8" to 3/4") that I paid $14.95 for on Saturday. "High Carbon steel", "Hardness: 48HRC". Looking at the edges through a 4x loupe...they aren't very good. So I can chuck all except the 3/4" into my Steel City (Chinese) drill press and dress them up with my Harbor Freight (guess the origin) mill files. And maybe a stone. Sigh. Edit: maybe I can chuck them into a hand drill and use the Tormek?

On a positive note I see that @krominix has posted a positive experience report on the "high quality" tools.

Edited by centerisl

I recieved tools from cmdachong. I'm very impressed. Every tooth is polished to perfection. It comes right out when pricking. Dare I say it makes my $280 Blanchards look like CS Osborne Irons. Here is a photo sorry for the bad lighting. I paid $80 for a 2+7 tooth 9SPI Iron. Great deal. I will never use a blanchard iron again. 9SPI with 632 Lin Cable

That's a good looking tool - at least the working end. Was that $80 delivered?

I'm a bit curious - and I know almost nothing about leather stitching - did you stitch that by hand? It looks very even - I would almost say machine-like.

Edited by centerisl

That's a good looking tool - at least the working end. Was that $80 delivered?

I'm a bit curious - and I know almost nothing about leather stitching - did you stitch that by hand? It looks very even - I would almost say machine-like.

I paid $95 total with shipping. It is sewn by hand with a traditional saddle stitch. Thanks for the compliment!

I paid $95 total with shipping. It is sewn by hand with a traditional saddle stitch. Thanks for the compliment!

Took does look nice but my only concern is what steel was used and how well it was tempered. I read somewhere that Blanchard pricking irons are around 59-60 HRC and that is really nice. Now if this to is low 50 or even 40s, it just won't last long until a tooth breaks (I really hope it won't).

Took does look nice but my only concern is what steel was used and how well it was tempered. I read somewhere that Blanchard pricking irons are around 59-60 HRC and that is really nice. Now if this to is low 50 or even 40s, it just won't last long until a tooth breaks (I really hope it won't).

I think its an ugly tool tbh hahaha but it works great so who cares. I cant comment on the steel as i dont really know too much but its definitely way harder steel than my goods japan and tandy irons an i haven't broken a tooth on either of those ever. Im pretty easy going on the tools.

New to this forum but been lurking for months now. I have discussed with cmdachong(caomeng) in taobao and confirmed that he is using HSS (hrc level above 60). Ordered some customized tools from him which I will get next months. Also made ordered some amy rokes.

I am no chinese, but i have been lurking the chinese forums for years now (re: cnc and programming discussions) and I can tell you that the chinese(china, taiwan, hk etc.) leathercraft community is very big. They have shops in china who carries VB, Au Chinois, Rons, Barry King etc...

New to this forum but been lurking for months now. I have discussed with cmdachong(caomeng) in taobao and confirmed that he is using HSS (hrc level above 60). Ordered some customized tools from him which I will get next months. Also made ordered some amy rokes.

I am no chinese, but i have been lurking the chinese forums for years now (re: cnc and programming discussions) and I can tell you that the chinese(china, taiwan, hk etc.) leathercraft community is very big. They have shops in china who carries VB, Au Chinois, Rons, Barry King etc...

Could you share a link to some of these forums?

I've been more and more curious about some of the Chinese toolmakers that are making quality products.

However the ordering process seems complicated with some of them and there's a lack of proper reviews available - at least I haven't come by any. So if you have any experience with some of these toolmakers, please do share them.

Any chance you're still selling the irons? Interested in a set. Shoot me an email to graingalleries@gmail.com

Guess you didn't bother reading the thread :)

Could you share a link to some of these forums?

I've been more and more curious about some of the Chinese toolmakers that are making quality products.

However the ordering process seems complicated with some of them and there's a lack of proper reviews available - at least I haven't come by any. So if you have any experience with some of these toolmakers, please do share them.

Main reason is their pricking irons are always out of stock or they have a long list of clients. I got an email from both Amy & Roke and C Mason. Amy & Roke currently has 3.38 sets (9SPI) available (A bit rare for them to have stocks. The chinese guys need to wait for 2 months to get a hold of AmyRokes irons.) and C Mason just started to re-stock most of his sets. In addition, C Mason just started to sell his own Fileteuse in china (quite cheap. i think around $200+ for the machine and $50+ for each tip).

Contact details:

Amy & Roke - It is very easy to contact Amy Roke if you know how to use (Chinese ebay)Taobao (https://amyroke.taobao.com/). They have a chat service and they will actually reply in english. Otherwise, send them an email @ atelieramyroke@hotmail.com - . I suggest to stick ordering via email. If you order via Taobao, they wont accept paypal and you need to go through the Taobao process. If you want some AmyRokes now (and skip the wait of 2 months), I suggest to send them an email NOW. Like what I have said, they currently have few 3.38 (9SPI/10TPI) stocks left and these wont last long. (note: shipping is quite expensive.). Still waiting for mine to arrive.

C Mason/caomeng - He is hard to get a hold of. He is always busy and rarely replies in email and taobao (and he use google translate to communicate. Sometimes he ask his friends to translate). I find that the easiest way to contact and order from him is facebook and his Etsy shop . He currently has stocks and he will most likely reply within a day or two.

Another alternative is Dol Dokki from Korea (instagram) - I was told that his tools are being used by high-end artist in Korea. In addition, his tools are quite popular in Japan. Downside is, his tools are a bit expensive (around VB price but looks way way way way better). Check his instagram and you will see why. His tools are a work of art. His pricking iron are solid and thicker than VB, You can send him an email and ask for the price list: carstylist@naver.com .

(forgive me if my english is not that good).

Edited by multivitamins

Your English is very good! And thank you for sharing your knowledge here. And I hope you'll share some pictures of your custom made tools once they arrive.

I already know Dol Dokki and have been following him on Instagram for ages. You can tell his tools are high quality but they just don't speak to me. They look too hi-tec in a way - like the new French company Eprose. I guess I prefer tools that just look classic... I wish there were more resources on Japanese tools too. For instance I've seen "Go leathers" on Instagram and he seems to be using a good mix of Japanese and European tools. Like he has tools from Iwataya (I believe that's the name) and they look really good. A bit crude, but they seem to work really well and I like that.

I guess I'll try ordering an edger or two from cmdachong and test the quality. I'll of course share a review here if or when I decide to pull the trigger.

I'm really not acquainted with taobao. I do believe I came across some forum or blog on taobao with a lot of American tools (mainly Ron's) - however I didn't bookmark it and haven't been able to find it ever since.

If you know any good threads or blogs to follow from China or Asia in general do share them.

cmdachong currently don't have #0 (.6mm) edger. But I think he does have #1 (0.8mm) - #5(3mm) available and you can have it customized if you want to go wider (If my memory serves me well, waiting time would be around 2-3 weeks for customized products).

For asian forums, best would be china (mix of china, taiwan and other chinese countries). However, you need a chinese account to be able to fully scan the forums. Problem is, for you to successfully create an account, you need to have a chinese number. If you're lucky, you can find some free log-in accounts in bugmenot.com

China - 1.) This one (baidu) is sort of like a reddit style mixed discussion thread/buy&sell forum. This is where they introduce their new products as well as selling used stuff. (Just use the google chrome translate feature).

2.) this one also have lots of leathercraft discussion

Singapore - http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/fashion-grooming-235/leather-thread-2437972.html

Will do a review and comparison once I receive my irons.

Edited by multivitamins

If you want some VB items and Lin Cable colors exclusively made for a korean store, you can visit THIS. I contacted them but I received no reply. I was interested with the Louis Vuitton patterned knife made by VB just for this retail store.

Japanese Iwataya Tools (shipping is quite expensive though) - http://www.iwataya-kouguten.jp/

Wow, thanks for sharing all of these links. Some of them I knew already and others I didn't. I'll have something to read up on now.

If more comes to mind, don't hold back.

I have a Japanese friend who goes to Japan ever so often. He could possibly pick up stuff from Iwataya if I knew what to order. He told me that Iwataya is completely back ordered because of orders from other Asian countries.