REN

Chinese High End Handmade Tool. Give Suggestions!

Nice topic here. I'm looking to fill the gaps in my tool set and excited to find lesser known makes.

Amy Roke is a bit cheaper on their Taobao shop so I blindly took the leap with my wife and Asia-based friends guiding (reading for) me. We chose the ship-to-Taobao option for 30 yuan instead of paying 30 yuan to Taobao to allow me to contact the seller to post. Yeah, maybe should have dealt direct via e-mail but it's a learning experience. Apparently, there are third parties whose business is to fetch your stuff from Taobao's warehouse and pass on to you. If Taobao/agents gouge us on US shipping or can't post to US, I'll just ship to a friend in Asia and figure things out later.

I expect delays with their new year holiday. From the sound of their email, they don't have stock on hand and we have to wait for production to resume.

+1. I also get my stuff from Taobao. Interestingly, if you order amyroke irons from taobao the wait is much longer ( I waited for 2 months for my set. Buying via email will only take around 2-3 weeks ). IMHO, Taobao is a best place for leathercrafters.

Let me tell you a secret: Lin Cables cost 10-15USD cheaper in Taobao. And.... you can easily get Barenia, Togo, Alran, Vachetta hides in Taobao. Plus.... Fenice products are way way way more cheaper as compared to the price offered by tandy.

+1. I also get my stuff from Taobao. Interestingly, if you order amyroke irons from taobao the wait is much longer ( I waited for 2 months for my set. Buying via email will only take around 2-3 weeks ). IMHO, Taobao is a best place for leathercrafters.

Let me tell you a secret: Lin Cables cost 10-15USD cheaper in Taobao. And.... you can easily get Barenia, Togo, Alran, Vachetta hides in Taobao. Plus.... Fenice products are way way way more cheaper as compared to the price offered by tandy.

multivitamins, thanks for the tips! Do you think I should cancel my order and order directly from Atelier Amy Roke? I'm not keen on the 5% Paypal fee they mentioned in e-mail so I went to Taobao.

multivitamins, thanks for the tips! Do you think I should cancel my order and order directly from Atelier Amy Roke? I'm not keen on the 5% Paypal fee they mentioned in e-mail so I went to Taobao.

Aside from the 5% Paypal fee, direct shipping is also quite expensive. Plus, if you cancel your order, I think your payment will be refunded to your Alipay account instead of directly going to your credit card. If you can wait, stick with your taobao purchase.

You can try to purchase some cheap stuff and use the 4px thing I told you and see how it goes.

Those etsy pricking irons from South Korea don't look too well-made. Probably better than Tandy, but nowhere near Blanchard or Amy Roke.

Have any of you tried the edgers from cmdachong or Muxi Lu? I'm very happy with my Rons and my Barry Kings, however I wouldnt mind trying some new ones.

IMHO, I think the korea tools are very well made especially the ones posted by rickdroid and the ones being sold by dol dokki. For cmdachong edgers, I know some french guys who bought them and told me they are the best edgers they have tried. I have no personal experience with cmdachong edgers yet. I still use my old kyoshin elle edger.

IMHO, I think the korea tools are very well made especially the ones posted by rickdroid and the ones being sold by dol dokki. For cmdachong edgers, I know some french guys who bought them and told me they are the best edgers they have tried. I have no personal experience with cmdachong edgers yet. I still use my old kyoshin elle edger.

Any recommendations on knives? I've been on the hunt hunt for a Japanese style knife for a while now, but I'm open to suggestions. I've seen a bunch on instagram, but if I can find them online they never seem to make a left handed version.

Any recommendations on knives? I've been on the hunt hunt for a Japanese style knife for a while now, but I'm open to suggestions. I've seen a bunch on instagram, but if I can find them online they never seem to make a left handed version.

Check out leathercrafttools.com well priced japanese knives. They have left handed Yujin knives made out of tungsten steel. Blue steel, tungsten, carbon and white steel are all good and perform well.

TBH, for Japanese knives get them from leathercrafttools.com. They have great prices and selection. If there is a japanese knife that you like and they don't have it in their online shop, you can actually message them and they will find it for you.

Dol Dokki also sell some japanese styled knives. Damage around 68USD.

Edited by multivitamins

I live in Japan and I had the same problem finding top-shelf left-handed knives.

I eventually found a traditional Japanese blacksmith who specializes in high-end woodcarving tools but also makes a mean leather knife. I had him make me a knife that's symettrical in shape (3rd from the right in the picture) so it can be used with both hands. Even though it's made from scratch, it only cost about 70 bucks and is very solid with an edge that keeps very well.

If you're interested, I can give you his info (not sure if he speaks English) or could even have him make one for you when I order more tools from him.

He has a facebook page too:

https://m.facebook.com/pages/小倉彫刻刃物製作所/562663520411785

post-65307-0-09557900-1455060286_thumb.j

Edited by victorl

I live in Japan and I had the same problem finding top-shelf left-handed knives.

I eventually found a traditional Japanese blacksmith who specializes in high-end woodcarving tools but also makes a mean leather knife. I had him make me a knife that's symettrical in shape (3rd from the right in the picture) so it can be used with both hands. Even though it's made from scratch, it only cost about 70 bucks and is very solid with an edge that keeps very well.

If you're interested, I can give you his info (not sure if he speaks English) or could even have him make one for you when I order more tools from him.

Thanks for sharing man! Also, can you recommend a great place in japan where to get some leather tool stuff? I'll be traveling to Japan this April and will be there for a month or two. The only place I have in mind now is Iwataya shop.

I live in the Tokyo area and there are a lot of places that sell leathercraft goods... you've got the major distributors like CraftSha, Seiwa and Kyoshin Elle, and plenty of smaller distributors as well. They're mostly concentrated in the Asakusabashi area in Eastern Tokyo. I regularly shop at a leathercraft store called Takara Sangyo and if you like, we could go together sometime and you can use my member's card to get 20% off everything in the store.

For knives, Iwataya is amazing and for top-of-the-line stuff to drool over, you should give Kanesoh in Asakusa a visit (www.kanesoh.com).

Cheers,

Vic

Oh man. Thanks for the offer. I'd have done this in a heartbeat, but I ordered from leathercrafttool.com yesterday. How do you like your knife?

Oh man. Thanks for the offer. I'd have done this in a heartbeat, but I ordered from leathercrafttool.com yesterday. How do you like your knife?

I own a few other good leather knives, but this has become my favorite as it cuts super smooth and I find the handle is very comfortable to hold. The blade is hand-forged blue steel and is a bit thicker than I was used to, but it's very sturdy and keeps its edge longer than my other knives. I'm not very good at sharpening so I can't get it razor sharp like when it first arrived, but I can still get it more than sharp enough to cut and skiv with ease.

Definitely a great bargain for the price, and I imagine it would probably sell for a lot more if sold in a store.

I live in the Tokyo area and there are a lot of places that sell leathercraft goods... you've got the major distributors like CraftSha, Seiwa and Kyoshin Elle, and plenty of smaller distributors as well. They're mostly concentrated in the Asakusabashi area in Eastern Tokyo. I regularly shop at a leathercraft store called Takara Sangyo and if you like, we could go together sometime and you can use my member's card to get 20% off everything in the store.

For knives, Iwataya is amazing and for top-of-the-line stuff to drool over, you should give Kanesoh in Asakusa a visit (www.kanesoh.com).

Cheers,

Vic

Thanks Vic! Looking forward to meet you. I will be staying near Konan, Minato-ku, Tokyo. Not sure how far it is from Asakusabashi though. Haven't done my research yet. Will google and learn more about the places you mentioned.

Got my amy rokes. I also ordered the Amy Roke new linen threads. Was impressed with the performance so I ordered a bunch of em. A bit stiffer than the Fil au chinois especially the 532 equivalent. But running the thread thru a bees twice makes this thread hug the leather better. IMHO its as close as it can get with the fil au chinois line. I find it better than the other lin cable alternatives (barbour etc...). Not much color selection like the fil au chinois line. However, you can get them half the price of Fil au chinois if you order via email. Ordering via taobao, you can get the threads cheaper (difference around 4usd).

Below using amy roke 3.38 and cmdachong 3.85. Stitched with Amy Roke linen 532 (M55) & 632 (M45) equivalents on a cheap veg tanned leather (midly pulled). Not a great stitch, but you get the idea how the thread looks like in different SPIs.

FYCUUy1.jpg

Edited by multivitamins

Thanks for sharing these and the Taobao links, multivitamins. I've been eyeing the 3.38 and 3.85 mm. I ordered the 2.7 mm by mistake (wanted 3 mm) but it's nice so I'm keeping it. These are my first irons so I can't compare. For sure, they get the job done.

Here is 2.7 mm with 0.45 mm Amy Roke thread. I haven't tried with the 0.35 mm thread sample they sent

post-69822-0-63613000-1457172005_thumb.j

Amy Roke has this pic on one of their listings to show stitching from their pricking irons range

post-69822-0-31844000-1457172025_thumb.j

I want them all but must pace myself...

Edited by orkan

If you want to know anything about Chinese handmade leather goods , you can send me an email , and if you want to buy something you can give me an email . I will help you , China All is not garbage , we also have some people praise worthy things. Thank you! zcy_han@126.com

zhaohan some more details would be great. Pictures, makes and prices would be a great start

He has a facebook page too:https://m.facebook.com/pages/小倉彫刻刃物製作所/562663520411785

Just by looking at the picture I can tell you: To thick a handle and to short a blade for a skiving knife. You would not be able to get the proper angle on the edge. The handle will hit the grind stone before you achieve the right angle on the edge!

Tor

Just by looking at the picture I can tell you: To thick a handle and to short a blade for a skiving knife. You would not be able to get the proper angle on the edge. The handle will hit the grind stone before you achieve the right angle on the edge!

Tor

The knife shown on the left of the facebook page is a common skiving knife available through goodsjapan. I paid about

$40.00 for mine. It is not a custom made knife. It actually is a pretty good knife for skiving. It is not as clunky as the pictures suggest. It holds an edge ok and is easy to sharpen.

rick

Also interested in his edgers. Will his #1 bevel 2oz ?

Edited by krominix

On 9. februar 2016 at 5:01 AM, victorl said:

Cheers,

Vic

Hi Vic, do you have any experience with Iwataya pricking irons?

I have yet to try them out, which I'm very eager to. However I hear that they're hard to come by.

This thread has been super helpful to me. I'm currently in the process of picking up some of the irons mentioned here.

I would love a recommendation for an awl: one that is slim enough not to spoil the slim, flat "European Style" holes made by the Amy Roke, CMDAChong, Myleathertool, etc pricking irons.

In my research, it looks like Vergez Blanchard irons are so far the best bet I've seen for fine leather work. They are of course slim to match VB pricking marks. Would need to get them sharpened. I've read a lot about Douglas Slim Awls, but have seen that even those are not as fine/slim as the VB Awls. Of the standard recommendations: Barry King, Osborne, etc, I am not aware of Awls as slim as VB for fine leather work.

Any recommendation for slim, preferably pre-sharpened & polished "European Style" Awls for fine leather work on thinner, smaller leather items? It would be also nice to have matching round awl and scratch awl to go with. (So far, I have contacted CMDAChong if he has these, still waiting to hear back.) Thanks!

Regarding awls you would want to modify, sharpen and polish those yourself most likely. But you could ask Cmdachong, if you could buy a pre polished awl from her - I've never tried them.

For fun I bought a Bob Douglas slim awl just before Sheridan closed their doors. And that awl is by no standard slim and if you practice a bit you'll notice that you can make a better awl yourself. At least I realized that my awls were sharper when I received the Douglas awl.

Good luck it's lots of fun, but maybe buy an extra awl, as it's pretty easy ruining it.

On June 23, 2016 at 11:30 PM, simontuntelder said:

Regarding awls you would want to modify, sharpen and polish those yourself most likely. But you could ask Cmdachong, if you could buy a pre polished awl from her - I've never tried them.

For fun I bought a Bob Douglas slim awl just before Sheridan closed their doors. And that awl is by no standard slim and if you practice a bit you'll notice that you can make a better awl yourself. At least I realized that my awls were sharper when I received the Douglas awl.

Good luck it's lots of fun, but maybe buy an extra awl, as it's pretty easy ruining it.

Thanks for the recommendation to customize. After researching more, I'm getting the same advice. I asked Peter Nitz about his awls he posted recently on IG, and yup, he makes them himself to suit his needs.

What is the best way to customize an awl? For example, for fine work, would I just buy the small VB awls because they are the closest, then work on them with whetstones, then polish, etc?

I would buy a couple of Blanchard awls - in the size you think will work for you.

First of all try polishing the awl on some sort of abrasive material (whetstone, diamond stone, ceramic stone, wet/dry paper) - once you've mastered getting the awl super sharp, you can move onto modifying the awl.

Basically you can cut of a bit of the tip and grind of some of the back - thus creating a more oval shape compared to a diamond shape with a less pointed tip.

You can order awls other places than Blanchard. Their awls a alright, but a bit expensive. Look around and see what you can find - just don't opt for Tandy/Ivan 

Have any of you bought any of these high end Chinese tools recently?

and if so would you care to share your experiences?

One thing I'm especially interested in right now is edgers by Mason / CMdachong.

I tried a set of pricking irons - bought through Muxi Lu and they performed quite well, but the size of the handle didn't fit my hands as nicely as Blanchard, so I passed them onto a friend of mine. But they looked nowhere near as nice as Amy Roke/Yidao irons, which I haven't handled, but enough people who's opinion I trust, has recommended them.

I've also seen the user Yangtools on Instagram who appears to be making a very nice awl - and a French edge skiver. Plus he's basically also copying DolDokki, which is very understandable, as they're beautiful.