Elmore

Sevo Motor Position, New Table

I'm currently building a table top for my Singer 111W155. It did not come with an existing top, so I've been referencing images online. However, one thing I would like to get some more information on, is the distance between the server motor and the pulley on the sewing machine.

To position the servo motor lever that connects to the foot pedal roughly in the center of the table, I ended up positioning the motor 10 inches from the sewing machine (measuring horizontally, center line of pulley to pulley). Should the servo motor be closer to the sewing machine? Is a shorter vbelt preferable to a longer one? Currently I have a 3L400 on it.

In the image below, you can see the mockup that I've made with the 10" spacing. The socket cap bolts show the location of the servo motor. If I keep this configuration, it also seems like the vbelt channel does not have to be connected to the sewing machine cutout, which is pretty much how ALL the cutouts I've seen are.

Sewing%20Table%20Mockup.jpg

Here's a diagram of my table top. There's an 1.5" tube steel frame inset 1.5" from the edge, indicated by the dashed line. The sewing machine is positioned 4" from the bottom and 7" from the right side, should leave plenty of space for the bobbin winder without running into the steel frame.

111W155%20Table%20Layout.jpg

From another thread here (which I haven't searched for, so I'm going by memory), the motor pulley vertical center-line only needs to be just behind the machine pulley vertical center-line, which allows you to tip the head back without having to loosen the belt first. Tipping the head back will relieve the tension on the belt and allow you to slip it off, or work under the head if needed.

How far back is more for your convenience. The link to the pedal doesn't need to be vertical.

Tom

Whichever pulley you connect to the machine head's pulley (be it a speed reducer or the motor pulley) it needs its shaft centerline to be located a bit behind the rotation point of your table hinge pins for the machine head to tilt back normally.

-DC

Thanks guys, I will test a few more mount positions for the servo motor, and see which feels the best. And slap the hinges on to make sure the motor shaft centerline and the rotation point work together.

As far as the vbelt cutout goes, is there any functional reason to have it connect to the machine cutout?

Sark9 is right, behind the hinges not the head pulley center-line. That's how good my memory is!

The belt cutout doesn't need to be connected to the head cutout, but if the strip between is getting too thin for the type of material you are using, I would join them. Materials like MDF and some others aren't very strong when cut narrow, so take it out now, rather than later if per chance it gets broken out.

Tom

This should help, table cutout is same as for your Singer 111W155 in this case here.

See attached.

post-14272-0-19856100-1427722529_thumb.j