Nessmuk1

Strong Motor For Table Top Mounting? Dc?

Wondering if someone can point me toward a smaller DC motor, power source and speed control, to mount behind a smaller machine, but on top of the table? I am needing more oomph than a regular sewing motor (1.5amp AC motor) will give, and want to the lower speed and better power of a DC motor.

Artisan Toro uses a table top mounted servo motor with remote actuater and seperate control box on their 441 clone. Don't know if they sell them seperate, but you can have a look to get some ideas.

Another option: a buddy of mine built a box for his industrial, added a motor and reducer. We will be testing it out on some upholstery leather today.

Reduction pulley 4

20150326 160545

Brother DB2 with reduction

I've done something similar with a gear reduction to a pulley reduction, but it was for a Q&D single project.

post-46726-0-09434700-1427651502_thumb.j

Using a 1.6 amp domestic sewing machine motor, it had plenty of power, and with a good foot controller, it was easy to do individual stitches. However, too much load from thick material is going to cause belt or stop motion washer slipping.

You may want to look at the toothed timing belt type arrangement used by Sailrite, or check out the generic timing belts and pulleys available from power transmission suppliers.

I think I remember seeing someone who had made a very nicely executed *portable* Juki-LU563 which used a commercially available gear reduction motor, but when I looked up that motor it had been discontinued. Anyone that considers the head of an LU-563 "portable" is a better man than I!

-DC

That's kind of a sweet set-up. I like it, and it would fit. Hmmn...