badger

Joseph Dixon Tools

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone here use tools made by the Joseph Dixon Company in the UK?

I'm UK based and want to get some decent edgers, standard and round bottom. Do Dixons make good tools?

Are some of their tools Ok and others not? The make strip knives and cutting boards for the leather industry as well.

Cheers,

Karl

Edited by badger

Karl,

If you see tools made by Joseph Dixon just buy them - any you don't want I will gladly buy from you!

I have a very old Dixon round knife that sharpens like a dream and holds its edge for ages. My edgers are a bit of a mixture but my all time favourite is a Dixon number 3 simply because it works nicely. I also have some Dixon punches and a gorgeous wooden handled circle/washer cutter.

IMHO, they are the best old leatherworking tools you can buy. I just wish I could find a plough gauge at the right price.

R.

Ray,

Thanks for that.

I have a really old round knife by them, but nothing new.

I was going to put in an order and buy direct from the company, rather than try to find old tools.

Do you like the Hollow Edge Shaves they make?

Cheers,

Karl

when I was a teen my mother bought me a box from a famous auction house in San Francisco. Inside was about 15 DIXON leather tools. There are a few knives, a ratchet screwdriver, and 7-8 edgers #1-7.

All are un-useable as the edgers are pitted or the toes are slightly bent but all could be restored easily. The knives are like barbers razors but the tangs are loose.

Is there a market for these/are they worth repairing and who would do it?

I would love to be able to use them. The HAVE to work better than my TLF tools and I'm sure compete with Bob Beard and others.

Plus, the wood handles are superb and I have a thing about using " antique" stuff.

pete

Most of my tools are old Joseph Dixon. They outlasted one 94 year old saddler and They will outlast me. I have had to replace a few over the years, mainly due to them being misplaced during moves. The moderns are absolutely fine but there is just something special about the quality of the old. You may find others have similar experience with old verses new Osbornes etc.

Don't expect to pay Tandy prices.

Barra

Hey, I don't mind spending good money on a good tool....

Thanks for all the input.

Order going in tomorrow.

Cheers,

Karl

Before you spend on new tools keep an eye on eBay for a couple of weeks. I have picked up some lovely Dixon tools over the past few years.

Re-fettling these tools is not difficult. Just take a bit of time to restore the edge and live with the surface pitting. The old knives work just as well and the satisfaction of using a tool that is a hundred years old is priceless.

R.

Karl

I'm a great fan of Dixon tools, and over the years I've accumulated quite a collection - everything from splitters to pricking irons - including three plough gauges (sshh . . . don't tell Ray!).

Having said that, I'm also very keen on some of the Osborne tools, particularly their hand-punches - solid forged steel - and their head knives. My best recent purchase has been an Osborne chase splitter that I bought from our friend Bruce Johnson. It's a beautifully engineered tool that produces a completely controllable split. What a pity the design is no longer in production!

Ray's advice about looking on eBay is very sound, but be careful not to get lulled into paying over the odds (I wonder how often Ray and I have been bidding against each other!). You'd be surprised how many people think that head knives are herb choppers!

Small local auctions and boot sales can also be productive. I once bought a boxful of saddler's tools from a house clearance for £15.00; when I priced them up at current-day prices they were worth about £750.00!

Once again I would repeat Ray's advice . . . if it's made by Dixon - buy it!

Terry

Thanks guys,

Good advice.

Cheers,

Karl

Hello...reading about Dixons tools....were the Dixons tools sold later as good as the old vintage ones.  Would you buy a new leather splitter or something like a Joseph Dixon splitter?  Are all Joseph Dixon splitters regardless of age well made? I love the old style splitters but they seem very expensive and would appreciate any opinions or advice.  Thank you...Kathryn

I believe the quality of Dixon dropped off towards the end, sorry to say, having said that there are good ones out there if you look long and hard enough. The ones i have are older. Here a link to a splitter i would be interested if i did not already have two splitters already ( Osborne ) would maybe swap both for this not sure if this was a older one or a later one, there was another one yesterday that was owned by a retiring saddler which may have been a older version and it was cheaper too, not there anymore. Also George Barnsley are making good no nonsense tools in the UK, but no splitters.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124958218377?hash=item1d18171889:g:1-YAAOSwNathbAYn 

https://www.georgebarnsleyandsons.co.uk

Not cheap i know but i would take this over any of the newer ones anytime.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

21 hours ago, KathrynHD said:

Hello...reading about Dixons tools....were the Dixons tools sold later as good as the old vintage ones.  Would you buy a new leather splitter or something like a Joseph Dixon splitter?  Are all Joseph Dixon splitters regardless of age well made? I love the old style splitters but they seem very expensive and would appreciate any opinions or advice.  Thank you...Kathryn

Sorry did not quote in above post so please read above 

Edited by jcuk

The very late Dixon tools fell off some in quality...But who's hasn't?   Osborne's quality certainly has.

I recently sold a very old Dixon splitter (Same as the late model) to a fellow and while it was over 100 years old, I found the quality to be about the same as the recent models.  Meaning to say, made of good materials, but workmanship a bit rough around the edges....

Sometimes those old tools weren't always as good as we'd like to think they were.  Dixon is generally a good brand of leatherworking tooling.  I'd buy anything marked Dixon if the price is fair.

Thank you for your reply.  That is the one I am interested in...so at a reduction on that price you would go for it?

Kathryn

14 hours ago, jcuk said:

I believe the quality of Dixon dropped off towards the end, sorry to say, having said that there are good ones out there if you look long and hard enough. The ones i have are older. Here a link to a splitter i would be interested if i did not already have two splitters already ( Osborne ) would maybe swap both for this not sure if this was a older one or a later one, there was another one yesterday that was owned by a retiring saddler which may have been a older version and it was cheaper too, not there anymore. Also George Barnsley are making good no nonsense tools in the UK, but no splitters.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124958218377?hash=item1d18171889:g:1-YAAOSwNathbAYn 

https://www.georgebarnsleyandsons.co.uk

Not cheap i know but i would take this over any of the newer ones anytime.

Hope this helps

JCUK

I forgot to quote on my post I just sent too.....the one you mention is the one I was looking at...it's 1993

13 minutes ago, KathrynHD said:

Thank you for your reply.  That is the one I am interested in...so at a reduction on that price you would go for it?

Kathryn

I forgot to quote on my post I just sent too.....the one you mention is the one I was looking at...it's 1993

One thing i would say ask the seller if he could get a better pic of the blade because if thats gone could be hard to replace and expensive if you can, from the pics already there it looks good and yes as i said if i was in the market for another splitter i would make a offer, even at that price if you are serious about getting into leather work it should be a great buy. My first splitter i got was a Osborne no 86 still have it 25+ years later still works a treat .

Hope this helps

JCUK

Personally I find the splitter in the link at the top to be somewhat overly priced??

I sold the one I had in September on Ebay auction type listing and it went for $310.   I was very satisfied with the price realized.  I never used it.

They're a very heavy cast iron frame machine.   I happen to still have a pair of Osborne 86's Jcuk, and kind of like you have had it for some time.  The 86 is a smaller machine than the Dixon and to be honest I prefer an Osborne.  The Dixon doesn't do anything the Osborne doesn't.  I paid $25 and $20 respectively for my 86's at an auction.

Here is a pic of the one I sold (Nothing wrong with the blade, just the lighting):

Image 31 - 6" Bench Mounted DIXON Leather Splitting Machine Splitter made England quality

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

Sorry to keep asking questions :rolleyes2:  He says the blade is sharp but would need to be kept sharp which obviously I am aware of....I did wonder about a photo of the blade as that could be a deal breaker so will ask....my question is kind of a repeat but my dilemma was to wait a bit and get a new Osborne 86 or 84  they do an 86a now too (old ones dont seem to come up)....but just to check I am reading you right, you reckon the 1993 Dixon splitter would be a better bet than a new Osborne?  Very much appreciate your responses.

And yes it does help

Kathryn x

37 minutes ago, jcuk said:

One thing i would say ask the seller if he could get a better pic of the blade because if thats gone could be hard to replace and expensive if you can, from the pics already there it looks good and yes as i said if i was in the market for another splitter i would make a offer, even at that price if you are serious about getting into leather work it should be a great buy. My first splitter i got was a Osborne no 86 still have it 25+ years later still works a treat .

Hope this helps

JCUK

I forgot to quote again....my reply is below :wacko:

2 minutes ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

Personally I find the splitter in the link at the top to be somewhat high?  
I sold the one I had in September on Ebay auction type listing and it went for $310.   I was satisfied with the price realized.  I never used it.

They're a very heavy cast iron frame machine.   I happen to still have a pair of Osborne 86's Jcuk, and kind of like you have had it for some time.  The 86 is a smaller machine than the Dixon and to be honest I prefer an Osborne.  The Dixon doesn't do anything the Osborne doesn't.  I paid $25 and $20 respectively for my 86's at an auction.

Here is a pic of the one I sold (Nothing wrong with the blade, just the lighting):

Image 31 - 6" Bench Mounted DIXON Leather Splitting Machine Splitter made England quality

Yes I feel it may be a bit high, I have offered lower but he has counter offered...in a bit of a dilemma.  I love the old machines but I just want something to do a decent job and often the forums say the old tools are the best...but is 1993 counted as old school??  It doesn't seem the Osborne's come up used very often, unless I have missed them.  I do have an alert on ebay but sounds like I have missed some mentioned here.

1993 seems just fine to me.  The machine in your picture looks pretty good.   But the price is excessive.  That's $700 US!   
I'd not pay that for a Dixon splitter.  

Why not buy a Heritage 8" splitter from Weaver Leather?  They're made in the US and well built and can also do lap skiving.  If you sign up for a dealer/wholesale account with Weaver the wholesale price is about $260 lower than the Dixon you're looking at.   They also seem to be made/machined much more precisely than the Dixon Splitter.

Maybe postage and UK import tax is a bit high....Just an idea.   

With all those long bust/defunct leatherworking shops in the UK, I'd be inclined to believe every flea market in England would be awash with surplus tools...

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

19 minutes ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

1993 seems just fine to me.  The machine in your picture looks pretty good.   But the price is excessive.  That's $700 US!   

Why not buy a Heritage 8" splitter from Weaver Leather?  They're made in the US and well built and can also do lap skiving.  If you sign up for a dealer/wholesale account with Weaver the wholesale price is about $260 lower than the Dixon you're looking at.   They also seem to be made/machined much more precisely than the Dixon Splitter.

With all those long bust/defunct leatherworking shops in the UK, I'd be inclined to believe every flea market in England would be awash with surplus tools...

Okay thanks, I will have a look at that, open to all options ...just have to be mindful of the tax and customs when it arrives here...I got stung on some knives!!  they can add 20%  of the price paid plus around £20+  in charges on top of the postage you have paid to get it to the uk, not sure if it's been hyped up with all the situation we are all in or just that I haven't bought expensive items before. 

The used ones do seem  a bit overpriced here...but think it may be slowing down a bit... also no-one has snapped it up so far which makes you think it is too high. It says it's not used much. 

I will have a check on the Weaver ones and ask for a photo of the blade and decide what to do.

Re the car boot sales and markets  I think most people are pretty savvy if they have something to sell and Google it to see what they are worth.  Sure some items have been hyped by people getting carried away bidding too, but that's the same everywhere :)  Some of them go to collectors or renovators I think. 

Thanks again for your input, I will look at the Weaver website when I next have a coffee :) 

Kathryn

6 hours ago, Cumberland Highpower said:

I keep an eye out for Dixons tools and have to say that price unfortunately seems about the going rate this side of the pond for the 8'' splitter. About six weeks ago i saw one which i think was a 6'' marked as some kind of leather cutter they did not realise what they had it was £120 so i kept an eye on thinking no one would see it even told my other half i was interested in this up to £250 - it just needed a bit of a clean up, the blade looked good.But one day before it was due to end  someone bid i thought thats ok, then someone else and so on  - i think in the end it went for around £480 and it was not in as good nick as the one for sale the moment. 
Along with the Osborne 86 splitter i also have a 84 which i got from ebay they said it was lightly used which it was, sure i paid £399 which against a new one here it was a steal for me - it was buy now it was its first day on there,  so snapped it up but have to say it not as well made as my old 86 but it does the job and to be fair to Osborne stand by their life time guarantee (which they did for a old round knife that got damaged not a fault of the knife contacted the people i got it from here 25 years before they ask what was wrong told i ask if they could get another handle so i could fit it they said send back they will send another one which they did unfortunately not as good of my old one which was a great knife). I know what you mean about getting one from Weaver but the import and customs and vat will make it lot more expensive, i had to order some things from Aaron Martin out of Canada and was i stung with extra payment but had no choice could not source them closer to home, they are a  good company to deal with. As for flea markets car boot sales yes sometimes there are bargains to be had but since covid hit there seemed to be a lot of new interest in leather work this side of the pond ( think its on the decline now ) now things have opened up, but it did make people more savvy about the things they were selling. Its not only Dixons there are other old British makes i keep an eye out for even though i don't think i need to much else but i am a sucker for old tools.

Edited by jcuk

7 hours ago, KathrynHD said:

Yes I feel it may be a bit high, I have offered lower but he has counter offered...in a bit of a dilemma.  I love the old machines but I just want something to do a decent job and often the forums say the old tools are the best...but is 1993 counted as old school??  It doesn't seem the Osborne's come up used very often, unless I have missed them.  I do have an alert on ebay but sounds like I have missed some mentioned here.

Sometimes change your search criteria you may get lucky thats how i lucked upon the Osborne 84. As for maintaining the blade if you know of someone with a buffing/polishing machine ask them from time to time give it polish, a good polished blade/edge work better but if you do have you do know of someone who can do it for you tell them to be careful of the blade and also not to get it to hot. You do know there are places that sell Osborne splitters in the UK.

Edited by jcuk

On 10/21/2021 at 7:21 PM, jcuk said:

I keep an eye out for Dixons tools and have to say that price unfortunately seems about the going rate this side of the pond for the 8'' splitter. About six weeks ago i saw one which i think was a 6'' marked as some kind of leather cutter they did not realise what they had it was £120 so i kept an eye on thinking no one would see it even told my other half i was interested in this up to £250 - it just needed a bit of a clean up, the blade looked good.But one day before it was due to end  someone bid i thought thats ok, then someone else and so on  - i think in the end it went for around £480 and it was not in as good nick as the one for sale the moment. 
Along with the Osborne 86 splitter i also have a 84 which i got from ebay they said it was lightly used which it was, sure i paid £399 which against a new one here it was a steal for me - it was buy now it was its first day on there,  so snapped it up but have to say it not as well made as my old 86 but it does the job and to be fair to Osborne stand by their life time guarantee (which they did for a old round knife that got damaged not a fault of the knife contacted the people i got it from here 25 years before they ask what was wrong told i ask if they could get another handle so i could fit it they said send back they will send another one which they did unfortunately not as good of my old one which was a great knife). I know what you mean about getting one from Weaver but the import and customs and vat will make it lot more expensive, i had to order some things from Aaron Martin out of Canada and was i stung with extra payment but had no choice could not source them closer to home, they are a  good company to deal with. As for flea markets car boot sales yes sometimes there are bargains to be had but since covid hit there seemed to be a lot of new interest in leather work this side of the pond ( think its on the decline now ) now things have opened up, but it did make people more savvy about the things they were selling. Its not only Dixons there are other old British makes i keep an eye out for even though i don't think i need to much else but i am a sucker for old tools.

I was too indecisive....I asked for a photo of the blade and he didn't send one and my option to counter-offer ran out.  It's sold now to someone else for £400. Think I may have missed a good one, but maybe I don't need one quite yet which gives me plenty more time to look.

I didn't see your above message til now....wish I had !! , think I would have bought it!   I got a Rodi splitter  off ebay with a wheel a while back, got it cleaned up and it just didn't seem to work, don't think it's the right thing at all ...it looks lovely now it's cleaned up and makes a good ornament!!, but I wished I hadn't bought it.  So made me a little hesitant!  I have wasted money on a few tools this last few months as you don't really understand until you start making things and use them.  Have found it is better to spend more and have less good tools. It's all a learning curve and I am enjoying the learning.  I will need a splitter at some point so will keep looking.  The new Osborne ones seem very expensive to me.  

Really appreciate your comments, they have been so helpful....thank you..I don't get any notification of any posts and should have checked again!

On 10/21/2021 at 7:54 PM, jcuk said:

Sometimes change your search criteria you may get lucky thats how i lucked upon the Osborne 84. As for maintaining the blade if you know of someone with a buffing/polishing machine ask them from time to time give it polish, a good polished blade/edge work better but if you do have you do know of someone who can do it for you tell them to be careful of the blade and also not to get it to hot. You do know there are places that sell Osborne splitters in the UK.

I will try that.....a friend of mine may know someone...Yes I have googled where to get the new Osborne's  from.  Artisan leather have an 'Ivan' one....not sure if you have come across those?

I think the splitter sold by Le Prevo is by 'Ivan' 

Check their price before you buy