KristineS

Stingray Purses

Hi, still kind of a newbie to the field of leatherwork but I love working with it. So now I'very gotten to the point I'd rather make my own purses than buy them, unless it's a Coach or other high end. I have it in my head to make a clutch out of stingray. But I'm having a hard time with finding out what to line it with not only for looks but also to stiffen it somewhat.

my other question is how do I edge it? I've seen the posts on inlay but for a bag that may not work. I like the rolled edge look but unsure how to do that.

I appreciate any help, I've been eyeballing a particular color skin and can't wait to do it and show it off!

thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum, Kristine!

Before you dive in, you should search for stingray on this site. Look at a few people's projects, and you'll see the trouble they've run into. Stingray is one of the hardest leathers to sew nicely, and it's expensive, so that will hopefully save you a lot of money and headache.

I've never worked with stingray, partly because of the above. However, if I had to, I'd do inlay on top of a piece of veg tan to eliminate the edge problem and hide the stitching line. But that's probably not the look you're hoping to achieve.

I know another member was researching clutch stiffness recently (http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=62432&hl=kymberly), maybe she's figured out something that would work.

As you can see, she didn't get much help - not many clutches on this forum, and the ones I've seen are soft. However, I'd love to see your solution to the problem!

In my opinion the Coach hand bags are not anything special. You are paying for the name.