cleanview

Yet Another Compatability Question

I have a fnx 9/40 blue gun

Can I build a holster for a fnx t 45?

It appears to simply have a longer barrel and I can't tell if it is just the threaded muzzle that makes up that additional length or not?

Here are the specs for the FNX 9,40 and 45. There is just a slight difference with the .45.

Specifications Weight

Unloaded:

• 21.9 oz (621 g) (FNX-9)[1]
  • 24.4 oz (692 g) (FNX-40)[2]
  • 33.2 oz (941 g) (FNX-45)[3]
  • 33.3 oz (953 g) (FNX-45 Tac)[3]
Length
  • 7.4 in (188 mm) (FNX-9)[1]
  • 7.4 in (188 mm) (FNX-40)[2]
  • 7.4in (188 mm) (FNX-45)[3]
  • 7.9 in (219 mm) (FNX-45 Tac)[3]
Barrel length
  • 4 in (102 mm) (FNX-9)[1]
  • 4 in (102 mm) (FNX-40)[2]
  • 4.5 in (114 mm) (FNX-45)[3]
  • 5.3 in (135 mm) (FNX-45 Tac)[3]
Width
  • 1.55 in (39 mm) (FNX-9)[1]
  • 1.55 in (39 mm) (FNX-40)[2]
  • 1.58 in (40 mm) (FNX-45)[3]
  • 1.58 in (40 mm) (FNX-45 Tac)[3]
Height
  • 5.45 in (138 mm) (FNX-9)[1]
  • 5.45 in (138 mm) (FNX-40)[2]
  • 6.33 in (161 mm) (FNX-45)[3]
  • 6.7 in (170 mm) (FNX-45 Tac)[3]

Width and barrel length are the big ones to pay attention too first. OAL takes in the grip and is less helpful, same for height. For the most part, .45's are thicker. There are some exceptions.

I've had some success with compatibility and some flaming failures. You gotta do the research. I know that thickness does not look like much, but get the stitch line wrong and you won't be able to get the gun in there to mold it or out when it's finished. Tweak the stitch line and you can get it sloppy. I've taken to getting the blue gun or turning down the request. Considering what's going in it, and why; it seems like the best option to me. I've been the new guy looking for every break too. But sometimes, most times, it's best not to wing it.

Sage advice

I just told him "no can do without the gun".

The fnx is not as easy to find the comparisons on as other guns......bellieve it or not I do look before giving up and coming here. Oddly enough i looked at the info page above and reading the maime part of the page, did not see the info on the side.

OH, I understand. The ever present, "No one makes a holster for this, can you?" Or, "My gun looks like a..... can you do it." More often that not the answer is no. But I usually dig around and look anyway. One thing to do is google, will X fit holster for Y. Some of the answers are kind of crazy, but every now and then you find out one company is just cloning another.

It sounds almost TOO simple, but many of the questions a guy might have, been asked before. Doesn't work EVERY time, but I been known to google a "vs". You know, like,

"walther PPK vs Bersa Thunder"

Sometimes get specs. Sometimes get a picture showing the two together. Sometimes, it's a bust. Try it out. Or don't :)

Oh trust me I usually work my google skills and do the comparisons and verses this gun and that gun. I usually can answer my own questions......

Of course if I fail in this endeavor........that is when I hang my head and and come in here and the "once again " thread of shame has to be done.......

and along the lines of what chiefjason says.........everyone that has the "oddball" (or less than popular) gun is convinced that even though I have never heard of it.....I will be rich if I start making holsters for there gun

If I deem it a popular blue gun, I will buy it from proceeds. If it is one that I might make two more in a lifetime, customer buys the mold gun and he can keep it. Or we may deal and I keep the blue gun. Or he brings me his gun.

and along the lines of what chiefjason says.........everyone that has the "oddball" (or less than popular) gun is convinced that even though I have never heard of it.....I will be rich if I start making holsters for there gun

Don't discount this completely. I'll not release the specifics, lol. But I have bought 5 guns specifically to make holsters with. I paid for 4 of them and sold the other. And between the few holsters and a near new price, I made money there too. It's a big gamble, but it can really pay off. I have been one of the only guys on eBay making holsters for a couple of guns. I paid for one in 10 days that way. My 2 biggest selling holsters are off of the real guns right now and at one point my 4 real guns were top 4 sellers. Some of those odd ball and non blue gun firearms have some devoted cult followings.