hunter131

Butt Stock

not to sure where to post this but i figured here is the best place..i decided to try and make a butt stock for a .22 i have. i formed a piece of leather for the butt and a piece to wrap around the stock. i have know idea how to sew them together though. i have seen pictures of them finished but i cant figure it out. i don't have a sewing machine so i hand stitch. thanks in advance

Can you show us a picture of the pieces. There are several ways to make a butt cover. To tell you how to sew it we would need to see how you intend it to go together. Did you mold the piece that covers the but plate to form a cup? If so do you want the piece that wraps the stock to be on the inside of the cup or the out side of the cup. Or is the piece that covers the butt plate flat (no cup)? If so it would be box stitched or stitched similar to a toe plug in a holster. Are you going to be hand stitching ?

Picture one is cup outside, picture two is cup inside.

You might get even more input under Gun holster, Rifle sling,knife sheath forum.

post-15001-0-18735800-1428201891_thumb.j

post-15001-0-40764600-1428203285_thumb.j

Edited by camano ridge

Did you try to post a picture if so no go? :dunno::oops:

i didnt post a pic sorry i should have. i want it just like the first pic camano showed. i already molded it i just need help knowing how to stitch. i will hand stitch since i dont have a sewing machine thanks

I will try to explain as clearly as I can. I don't have any pictures of a work in progress to give a visual. Although I will be doing one for a Stoger next week. I will try to take some pictures for future use.

The way I do it (this is just my way) I take the molded piece and put it on the stock then take a pair of calipers or a stitch groover (what ever you use), mark your stitch line. Now remove the piece from the stock. Use an over stitch wheel or pricking irons to mark you stitch holes. Punch your holes through the molded piece, now glue the piece that wraps the stock to the inside of the molded piece. When glue has dried dry fit the cover to the stock make sure it is going to fit and lay the way you want it to. Once the glue has dried and you are satisfied with the fit , put your awl through the pre punched holes in the molded piece pushing through the second piece until you have punched all the holes through both pieces. Now saddle stitch the way you would any other piece. You will just have to move the needle around different angles inside the wrap to get it through the holes when stitching from inside the wrap. Hope this is semi clear. If not just let me know what you need clarified. One other thing to mention if you have not already burnished and finished the edge of the molded piece I would do that before gluing the two pieces together. Both of the pictured stock covers in my first post are hand stitched.

Edited by camano ridge

ok i think i got it. pretty much you do it the same as any other piece its just gonna be harder and slower since you have to move the needle around and its a tight fit and everything. i will have to give it a try once i get time and just go for it. if it works it works if not i will try again. thanks for the help camano