GaryNunn

Singer 111W151, Leather, Adjustments, Needles & Questions

I’ve been stalking the forum and educating myself for months, but I have a few questions that I can’t find answers to.

I can’t find the holsters I need/want, so I decided to make my own. I’ve acquired a Singer 111W151 machine that’s in perfect shape, and I successfully upgraded it to a Family Sew FS-550s servo motor from Toledo Industrial, and it runs beautifully.

I have a couple of things I'm trying to work out, and I'm sure they're simple adjustments. I'm trying hard not to spend $2k on an actual leather stitcher.

1. Does anyone know if this machine can handle 346 thread? If not, what would potentially be the largest thread it can handle? And what needle would I use with it?

2. I'm still learning about needles. I ordered some leather needles that go through the leather like butter, but they're not long enough to catch the thread from the bobbin. I go back to the original needle that's longer, and it just isn't as suitable for leather. I saw several threads in the forum about needle size and I'm reading through them now.

3. I replaced the bobbin last night and apparently changed something, and now the bottom thread is being pulled up through the leather. I assume this is a tension adjustment. I'm still trying to figure this one out.

4. I have several PDF copies of the original manual. Does anyone know of a clearer, more updated manual or set of instructions for making adjustments or maintenance?

I'm sure I'll have a few more questions and I'll post some pictures.

Gary

If your needle is too short it's the wrong system/ type for your machine. The length should always stay the same just the form of the tip is different if you buy leather needles (LR). Probably you find which system you need in the manual?

@3 Are you sure that you threaded the bobbin correctly? There should be a spring which puts preasure on the thread the thread always goes below the spring. If you're thread goes under the spring and is still to weak you have to tighten the screw which holdes the spring. The other option is that your upper thread tension is way to high, that would cause the same problem.

@4 If you have the original manual that's probably the best you can get. The manual should explaine all tricks and adjustments. Another idea would be Youtube here you can find lots of videos, also for that type of machine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71DPLtqpRds.

Regards

Edited by Oakley

Private Message Sent

May God bless,

Dwight

When replacing the bobbin, you need to pull the thread and hold the bobbin to keep it from spinning. This will allow the thread to "pop" under the spring tension device on the bobbin case.

There is a youtube video that shows this procedure, but I can't seem to track it down.

This machine originally used a 135x5 needle which is 11/2" long a lot of people change it to a 135x17 which is 13/4" long (so the needlebar won't hit the foot when sewing thick)Look on youtube for Consew 225 or 226 the bobbin goes in the same.The largest thread that works the best is #138.I did just play

around with one of these the other day & sewed 7/16" with #92 nylon.

This machine originally used a 135x5 needle which is 11/2" long a lot of people change it to a 135x17 which is 13/4" long (so the needlebar won't hit the foot when sewing thick)Look on youtube for Consew 225 or 226 the bobbin goes in the same.The largest thread that works the best is #138.I did just play

around with one of these the other day & sewed 7/16" with #92 nylon.

Hi Bob, I talked to you briefly on the phone a couple of weeks ago when I ordered my servo motor. It installed beautifully and makes a HUGE difference. I just ordered a pack of size 22 needles and a spindle of 138 thread. Those ancient instruction for that machine specify size 22 as the largest needle it will handle and #92 thread, but I was able to get my sample of #138 to work with it.

In a month or two when I'm ready to buy a bigger machine I'll contact you and see what you have available.

Gary