RedwoodJen

Is There A Glue That You Can Sew Through?

Hey all.

I got a project. I make purses. There's this one place where I need to glue an edge onto the liner, and then later sew that edge onto my leather. If my needle hits a spot on the glue, it tends to freak out.

Can any of you recommend a type of glue that doesn't bother your needle if you sew into it a bit?

Thank you!!!!

Never had a problem with contact cement like Weldwood in the red can.

Thanks, Troy. They've got that at the hardware store so I love an easy answer.

barge cement always works well

Any one of my 5 sewing machines will balk if it comes into contact with a piece of metal, . . . and I'll balk if it comes into contact with my finger, . . . but glue????

Not in the 50 years I've been sewing. But then again, . . . I use Weldwood carpenters glue, . . . Elmer's white glue, . . . and Weldwood contact cement, . . . nothing else.

May God bless,

Dwight

The drier the glue is the less sewing machine issues you will have. White glue like leatherweld is very easy to sew through without residual sticking to the needle, causing the leather to lift and missed stitches. If you want to use contact make sure it is very dry.

The drier the glue is the less sewing machine issues you will have. White glue like leatherweld is very easy to sew through without residual sticking to the needle, causing the leather to lift and missed stitches. If you want to use contact make sure it is very dry.

Electrathon probably hit the glue on the head here, . . . I just always wait until it is dry, . . . part of my process, . . . and yes, trying to sew through cloth or leather or some combination, . . . with wet glue, . . . might have some problems.

May God bless,

Dwight