I've been working on it

I've been working on it

Hey! I've been looking for a pattern of the USPS mail bag for a while too. Please let me know when you finish it; I would gladly pay a good price for it!

love the bag just don't understand the measurement for each piece do you have the patter in real size that I could tile print?

just downloaded it now. I will get it printed out do you know what size of paper it wanted for the whole thing? if not i might try tiling it

On 5/27/2015 at 6:17 PM, emcniel said:

just downloaded it now. I will get it printed out do you know what size of paper it wanted for the whole thing? if not i might try tiling it

40" x 52.5". Depending on your settings, you can have your pdf viewer show the original size in the bottom status bar.

Tom

I ended up making the pattern myself. Get it here: http://andersenleather.blogspot.dk/2015/05/us-mail-bag.html

Link to show off thread: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=63827

By adding a welt to the seam, does that make the seam stronger or is that for looks ?

By adding a welt to the seam, does that make the seam stronger or is that for looks ?

It does both. When turning the bag inside out the stitching will be exposed if you don't have the welt. That being said depending on how thick your leather is and how close your stitching is it it can be left out. Thinner leather with high spi is better than thick leather with low spi.

I am attaching a jpeg of a 1921carrier satchel design that I obtained from the Post Office historian in DC. I realize that a pattern has already been made, but I hope there is still some benefit to providing this drawing. I have a much larger file (1.95 MB) should anyone want a higher resolution.

I am researching vintage patterns from some of the defunct manufacturers of the carrier satchel and if I am successful, I will post them as well. This is my first post to the forum, hopefully I posting this in the right location. I am new to leatherwork and hope to learn hand stitching and some day make this bag. I live in Northern Vermont.

Nice to meet you all.

John

post-69403-0-63594200-1453929220_thumb.j

Edited by Possumbreath

Hi John!

Welcome to the forum! If you like, you can introduce yourself in the "Member Gallery". You'll find great knowledge here in the forum.

It's an interesting research you're doing, and thank you for sharing the results.

Sandra

Thanks Sandra. I posted a hello in the introduction section.

John

I am attaching a jpeg of a 1921carrier satchel design that I obtained from the Post Office historian in DC. I realize that a pattern has already been made, but I hope there is still some benefit to providing this drawing. I have a much larger file (1.95 MB) should anyone want a higher resolution.

I am researching vintage patterns from some of the defunct manufacturers of the carrier satchel and if I am successful, I will post them as well. This is my first post to the forum, hopefully I posting this in the right location. I am new to leatherwork and hope to learn hand stitching and some day make this bag. I live in Northern Vermont.

Nice to meet you all.

John

Excellent first post. The original pattern you found is wonderful! I would really like the high resolution file. I'll send you a pm.

On 1/27/2016 at 9:22 PM, Possumbreath said:

Nice to meet you all.

John

post-69403-0-63594200-1453929220_thumb.j

Hi John

I would love to see a higher resolution version of that plan.

Thanks

Michael

Hey, guys! Does anyone have this picture of a mail bag in high resolution? I wrote to John, but he hasn't been here for a long time and apparently there's no point in waiting. I really want to sew this bag and am looking for genuine information about it. Some kind of obsession. I think there are still patents for this bag, but I do not know where to look at them :) I will be grateful for your help, thank you

32 minutes ago, musigor said:

Hey, guys! Does anyone have this picture of a mail bag in high resolution? I wrote to John, but he hasn't been here for a long time and apparently there's no point in waiting. I really want to sew this bag and am looking for genuine information about it. Some kind of obsession. I think there are still patents for this bag, but I do not know where to look at them :) I will be grateful for your help, thank you

there are pictures in the links in the above comments. even a pattern or two.