RStevenson

Pro Line Pricking Irons

I just recieved my first set of pricking irons: the pro line european pricking iron from a seller on amazon and they're much smaller than expected. Anyone else have experience with these? my pointer finger is longer than the length of the chisel, is that normal?

Edited by RStevenson

Check out Nigel's videos on pricking irons on you tube, he did 8 videos on different pricking irons, great and in depth. Here is a link to one of them.

He really does a great review on all the pricking irons he had available.

Thats a full movie about pricking irons, impressing. :blink:

Thanks, I've actually watched all of Nigels videos haha. He does cover the pro line diamond chisel but the ones I've bought were advertised as new pro line european pricking irons - they mark the stitching lines instead of punching diamond shaped holes.

Heres a picture of them: http://imgur.com/oVOAzZ1

Amazon page: http://www.amazon.com/NuoYa001-Pro-Line-Pro-Stitch-Leather-Piercing/dp/B00LKUWN5O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428473075&sr=8-1&keywords=pro+line+nuoya

Edited by RStevenson

Those are pricking irons not punching chisels. It seems that the have been incorrectly described. They look nicely made and are designed to mark the leather for using an awl for manually punching the leather.

Yeah, I was looking for pricking irons when I purchased them and they work alright. My concern is that they seem very small. even the line they mark is only 1/2 the size of my awl blade.

The handles look a little shorter than some, but that's not terribly important to their function so long as they are long enough that you don't whack your fingers while holding them. Different types do vary a bit in spacing between tines, width of tines and depth of tines, but that would be more of a problem if too big than too small when you are using an awl.

Ummmm.... What kind (size) of awl are you using?

Bill

The handles look a little shorter than some, but that's not terribly important to their function so long as they are long enough that you don't whack your fingers while holding them. Different types do vary a bit in spacing between tines, width of tines and depth of tines, but that would be more of a problem if too big than too small when you are using an awl.

Ummmm.... What kind (size) of awl are you using?

Bill

My awl is an osborne 1-1/4 i believe

Sorry for the double post but I've come to the conclusion that these are excellent little bastards, not only do they look fantastic but an entire set for $21 is unbelievable. They become wider farther up the teeth so the harder you tap them the bigger the marks become, now I don't have any problems...the only downside was the shipping from china took about a month.

I have these also and I will say to use them lightly. Only for marking. The tips can break very easily if used too aggressively. Actually, the tips on a couple of the tines bent slghtly and when I tried to straighten them they snapped off. I filed the rest down even and cleaned the ends and it seems to work fine again now. Other than that theyve been fine.