Sign in to follow this  
pete

scraps=return customers!

Lately I've been using scraps as an added item to my work. I punch out 2 1/2 circles and put my maker stamp in the middle, finish with Bick's+neatsfoot mixed, and edge and burnish the edges.

Takes just a few minutes to do it but since I have been tying it onto the briefcase, wallet,checkbook, etc, the customers usually put a ring on it and add it to their keychains, car keys, use for luggage tags with their name "sharpied" on the back, etc.

I actually saw a bag tag of mine in the Springfield, MO! I didn't even remember the customer.

pete

Lately I've been using scraps as an added item to my work. I punch out 2 1/2 circles and put my maker stamp in the middle, finish with Bick's+neatsfoot mixed, and edge and burnish the edges.

Takes just a few minutes to do it but since I have been tying it onto the briefcase, wallet,checkbook, etc, the customers usually put a ring on it and add it to their keychains, car keys, use for luggage tags with their name "sharpied" on the back, etc.

I actually saw a bag tag of mine in the Springfield, MO! I didn't even remember the customer.

pete

Great simple idea that pays off in the end!!! It keeps your name in front of the customer and makes good use of scrap!!

I might have to try that.....

William

This sounds like a really great marketing idea - and a good 'extra' use for a makers stamp.

That's a really neat, simple idea, Thanks for sharing, I am definetely going to use that idea! Alan

This is a great idea. I bought a leather ring from an artist, and it came in a little scrap pouch she built in a unique shape. It was sewn on a machine; so I don't know if I'd tackle that by hand for every order, but it was cool. It did not have a maker's stamp on it or anything. I'm not a fan of wasted packaging, i.e., lots of tissue paper and bags and whatnot; so I may try variations on it in the future.

Hedy

I remember this use to be a big thing on the more finely made leather items from people/ When I was a kid you couldnt find a shoe/luggage/purse/ just about anything leather that was made by a decent source that didnt have a leather tag with either the maker or the company that made it on there. It is a nice touch. Shows pride and a little extra effort to IMO.