Sign in to follow this  
Mariel

Top Tension On My 255B Consew

So I bought a 255b consew sewing machine. Before I had bought, I had tested it out. Seen on the leather I was going to use and even had the previous owner show me that it works.

Now that I have set up at home. Im trying to start my projects and I can't seem to get the top tension right. I have decreased and increased. Did the same for the bobbin tension and for some reason when I sew, the top thread is to tight. When I look at the bottom sewing. It's perfect but not the top.

I don't know want to do. I have read anything I can about the 255 which is not a lot and watched all the videos I can including videos of other sewning machines. And nothing I do seems to be working. My stitch from the top thread just looks like a straight line in top with knots.

Advice and guidance please.

The bobbin case has 2 screws on the spring - which one have you tuned? The right one is for attaching it to the bobbin case the and left one for altering the tension. Are both screws present and is the left one functional or is the thread probably damaged / over wound?

Are you making sure to get the bobbin thread underneath the spring properly?

Thank you all for responding!

Here are some photos...I tried it again this morning hoping that the sewing fairies would fix it for me while I slept...not so much. So here are some photos:

post-61305-0-99003900-1429124593_thumb.j

post-61305-0-51329300-1429124626_thumb.j

post-61305-0-03182200-1429124638_thumb.j

BOTTOM

post-61305-0-88295300-1429124658_thumb.j

Your top thread should not go over this pin (see circle) just slip it between the discs and not over the pin! This most likely is your problem. The path over the pin causes extra tension.

post-31854-0-19999400-1429127671_thumb.j

Edited by Constabulary

Your top thread should not go over this pin (see circle) just slip it between the discs and not over the pin! This most likely is your problem. The path over the pin causes extra tension.

This is just my, non-expertise, thoughts: I have three sewing machines Consew 206RB (FERDCO), Pfaff 1245 (FERDCO), and Juki 441 (FERDCO) and those with the pin have the thread going over it as Mariel's pictures show, all the machines have a hole to go through at the very top of the needle. It is located right where the needle enters the needle bar. When I am in a hurry, I always forget this one. If you have one, use it. If not ignore me.

Any time I change thread, I tie the new thread to the old thread and pull it through leaving only the hole at the top of the needle and the eye of the needle (L to R) to thread.

And if it was sewing good to start with I ask myself what did I just change when the sew errors started . Nine times out of ten I threaded it wrong. I do not adjust any tension until looked at the bobbin, cleaning the bobbin area and making sure the tread is feeding cleanly of the spool.

Constabulary,

I actually tried your way and it did the same thing. But I did a little experiment and I got the same result from threading it the way you suggested and the original way I had it:

1. They top threading still had the same effect (which suggested the top tension was too tight because the thread up top was in a straight line(like the pictures above)

2. When I changed the thickness of my material, (the thicker the better) it stitched perfectly.

I took 2 pieces of suede which is what I will be using to create my product, but the thickness got me the top tension line again. And I did on 2 pieces of upholstery leather and got the same thing....

SO now the questions lays, is there a certain needle Im suppose to use?

Well, I yet have not noticed a machine where the thread is going over this pin but thats probably just me. I personally still would not go over then pin. But when Consew wants it that way and it has no effect it´s of course up to you. ;)

Anyway - Something is causing either too high top tension or too little bottom tension.

Have you checked the 2 screw on the bobbin case? I´d remove them and check if there is some dirt underneath the spring then you can check if the small screws are is in proper condition.

post-31854-0-07527800-1429160615_thumb.j

How is the thread coming off the thread spool? The guide for the threat should be straight above the thread cone.

Then there is a thread pin on top of the machine - try to guide the thread through just one hole and maybe leave out one hole of the 3-hole guide neat the tension assembly. This is a try to reduce the top tension.

Hi Mariel,

If I might offer a few adjustments based on your photo. Loosen the screw on the chrome thread guide and line it up straight up and down like the yellow line I drew. Then remove your thread from around that post. I suspect it's been wrapped around that pin because the angle is wrong on the thread guide and the thread jumps out unless this is corrected. Also, if you follow the red line, (the proper threading) you'll see it changes the angle of the thread entering the check spring assembly. It's wrapped around too far because of the angle. Make sure the thread is not wrapped completely around the tension disk.

Next, loosen the little screw on the chrome plate of the check screw plate and rotate it clockwise until the slot is centered on the screw or slightly past.

Lastly, use your handwheel to pull the bobbin thread up through the feed dog hole. Place a finger on top of the bobbin and while pressing down, pull the bobbin thread. This ensures that your bobbin thread is under the tension spring. Then take a small pin or needle and gently pull the part of the bobbin tension spring where the thread exits. Make sure there's no fuzz or lint under it. When you pull on the bobbin thread, you should feel tension. It should be quite a bit looser than your needle thread, but it still needs tension. If you're sure you have bobbin tension, then slowly back off the needle tension while sewing on 2 ply of your material.

If you feel you don't have enough tension on your bobbin thread, your spring may be weak and needs to be bent. You can do this by removing both screws and bending the spring into a sharper curve. Then replace the screws, tightening the right hand screw all the way which secures it, and then adjusting the adjusting screw until you can feel tension. I use a magnetized screw driver on those little guy so you don't loose them.

Regards, Eric

post-33297-0-57493100-1429162561_thumb.j