dm110

I Am In Need Of A Few Basic Beginner Patterns

hello

I am tryint to get back into leather work .in my area there is no resource for learning to work with leather. we used to have a local tandy but it closed, and the local leather workers have long since moved, died or houn up their tools. the nearest leather store is a tandy (30+ miles away) with a manager who is not really a leather worker. so I find my self without guidance in getting back into leather work.

I am hoping to some day do the western, floral type tooling

I have been working on an old pattern using the seven basic tools. ( 1 pattern - 26 repititions) #1 still mostly looks like #26

I would like to get a new patters to work on, and I am new so I would need some direction as to how to make the design.

I have yet to develoup the skill of being able to look at these patterns and invision the steps to a finished project.

I would like to stick with the basic tools, untill I show some skill, at my skill level I don't think that getting more complicated patterns and more tools will help my learning curve.

does anyone have some old patterns& direction

thank you

Check out Tandy Leather Craft library on line. http://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/ There are several free patterns, the premium subscription you can sign up for 1 month for $9.99 gives you access to many how to videos. . Do a search on these forums for tooling patterns. Also do a search for Acorn and Oak leaves. You will find some patterns as well as a tutorial or two.

Edited by camano ridge

Arthur Porter you tube

Don Morin at Bag'n-telle has some great information - tutorials, patterns and design advise.

Check it out https://bagntell.wordpress.com/

I love Arthur Porter's videos. Lots of tips and advice and he actually shows EVERY step.

His videos are great and I love the way he says gussy!

He also has good vids sewing with industrial sewing machine. Which is what he uses on most all his tutorials

Me too

I looked at Arthur Porter & Don Morin they are working with sewing machines and making more clothing type products.

​Iam looking for some basic western floral carving (ideally using the seven basic tools, I see no need to add more tools until I learn to work with what I have)

I am working with thicker leather and working it by hand.

the forum bot wouldn't let me post an example of what I would like. - so just think basic cowboy tooling

thank you

Tandy is reopening a lot of its stores and their website is www.tandyleatherfactory.com There are about a dozen stores listed in California. They should offer hands on in store classes.

That and the Sheridan Carving section of the forum here...