Saddlebag

Do Gooder Heavily Oiled Roughout Roper

I am putting this out to anyone who's had to deal with this. It's no longer a roughout.

I'm guessing that what you're talking about is a rough-out saddle that's been oiled by someone to the point that the leather is greasy and slick, and you want to get rid of some of the oil.

I'd give it a wash or two with plain old Ivory dish soap. That should take off some of the oil. As it gets dry, brush up the nap on the rough-out with a nail brush or similar. A dab of light conditioner like Lexol on the skin side, and call it good.

If you're dealing with rough-out that has been slicked over time with lots of riding, the wash and brush might not be enough. I've used gently-applied coarse sandpaper and a brass brush to scuff up slicked suede/rough-out before with some success.

Saddle owner finally resorted to liberal amounts of dish detergent it wasn't worth anything the way it was. It helped so at least her pants aren't oily when she rode it.

A true rough out saddle is where you can use a pressure washer to superb effect. Don't get too close or contact topgrain side at all. this is an acquired skill and experimentation is suggested. I can bring most soiled padded seats back to new.