This is my first belt. It will replace my old wal mart work belt. I learned a couple different things from this. 1.) as much as it is a pain in the butt, load the needles with enough thread to get one side of the belt done. ( one side I did not do this and the stitching is not to my satisfaction). 2.) I need another pricking iron! The only one I currently own is 8 spi. This brings a question from me to the forum, who presently manufactures the best for the least amount of dinero in pricking irons? I would also like to thank everyone for their time and patience with working with us just getting into leather. I have learned and continue to learn so much from this site! Thanks again

post-60097-0-82855300-1429578367_thumb.j

Great job! Stitching is looking good to me...

Do you mean a pricking iron to mark holes to be made with an awl? Or a stitching chisel that goes all the way through? Goodsjapan.com has a European style pricking iron for $45 plus shipping. They also sell great stitching chisels. Nigel Armitage has videos up on youtube reviewing those and others. I just bought some chisels from Springfield Leather cheaply and one of TandsY's Craftool Pro irons. I like them both.

A stitching chisel is what I an looking for really....my sharpening skills with a stitching awl leave a lot to be desired...(I already ruined one trying to sharpen it). Thanks Tuga

Great job on it, I really like that pattern. And your stitching looks great too

I bought this set, gives me a lot of flexibility with the stitch size without buying 10 different tools

http://www.tandyleather.ca/en-cad/home/department/tools/stitching-lacing-tools/3009-00.aspx

I was at Springfield Leather Co. this weekend (bought a Cobra Class 3 machine!!) and I saw the pricking irons they sell under their brand. Look great, and frankly awesome prices. I'd take a look at their site, if you never have. Amazing store. I got a tour and it is really a great place to shop. Electronically, by phone, or in person.

I just endorse them, I don't work there, etc.

Roger

This is my first belt. It will replace my old wal mart work belt. I learned a couple different things from this. 1.) as much as it is a pain in the butt, load the needles with enough thread to get one side of the belt done. ( one side I did not do this and the stitching is not to my satisfaction). 2.) I need another pricking iron! The only one I currently own is 8 spi. This brings a question from me to the forum, who presently manufactures the best for the least amount of dinero in pricking irons? I would also like to thank everyone for their time and patience with working with us just getting into leather. I have learned and continue to learn so much from this site! Thanks again

Avion , this is incredible for your first belt, the way you have used those simple stamps to get such a nice looking design is an inspiration, i wish i could see the border work better to see what you did there, maybe a closer picture please?

wow...the whole belt and stitching is awesome

Jazzman thanks for your kind words! I am at work at the moment but thought I would send a pic of tool marks from that tool. It is a matte tool from Tandy, but dont recall the number...I will post again with the #. Thank you again.

post-60097-0-76636900-1429640727_thumb.j

Thank you Avion for taking the time to reply to my post, i have looked them up on tandy, i think it might be a E294-03 Craftool Stamping Tool , is this correct?, it would be great if you could tell me as i fancy having a go at this design if you do not mind me pinching your idea, i am quite new to leathercraft and need all the ideas and inspiration i can get, thanks again for the help. Take care.

Thanks Avion, i will add that stamp to my next tandy order, just debating whether or not to join their elite club for cheaper prices.

I went gold when I started messing with leather March 1st....I already wished I'd chosen elite

I went gold when I started messing with leather March 1st....I already wished I'd chosen elite

That belt looks great and I second the mention of Nigel's reviews on the irons, it looks like he has that scienced out too.

That is some awesome work! Is that a suede backing? And would like to know your finishing technique. Did you apply some type of resist when applying dye in order to retain the lighter highlights?

George

Thanks for the kind words g. The belt is a run of the mill $14.99 belt blank from Tandy. No backing, just regular veg- tan. My finish consisted of 3 coats of super sheen painted on the stamp, 6 hours apart and allowed to dry overnight....about 7-8 hours. I used Fiebings Tan, applied with a wool dauber...I would do both sides about 10" worth, and wipe off the excess with a rag from old t-shirt. Then I did the same thing with Tandy gel antique. The rest was just stitching, burnishing and coating the edges, Thanks again.

That's a nice looking belt, Avion.