Hi everyone :) I'm new to leatherworking, having taken a couple of classes, and I am ready to strike out on my own with a pile of scrap leather I picked up and some basic tools. For the types of projects I want to make (simple cases and envelopes to start) I need closures and so I've been looking into picking up some snaps.

And that's pretty much where my confusion starts. I downloaded the Ohio Travel Bag catalog so that I could see a wider variety of snap types (versus Tandy which seems to only have a few) and that was great for an overview but I can't really tell what the differences are or what application the snaps would be used for.

Does anyone know of a primer anywhere that explains these snap types?

• Segma snaps
  • Glove snaps - are these the same as Segma snaps?
  • Belt snaps - are these basically glove snaps, but heavier duty?
  • Line 20 and Line 24 snaps - these seem to be better for applications that need a stronger hold, but overkill (and possibly even hazardous to thinner leather) on more delicate projects - is this right?
  • Parallel spring snaps - I can see that these have two little wires inside the socket. Are these different from glove/belt/Segma snaps?
  • Any others I am leaving out?

Is it possible to get an assortment of different types and sizes of snaps so I can try them out without breaking the bank, or am I pretty much stuck with buying each type of snap separately?

Any guidance you could offer would be very much appreciated! I really want to get the right hardware as I go forward with this hobby.

Edited by doe

Segma snaps is a brand, military grade snaps.

Line 20 and 24 snaps are cap style snaps, the 20 and 24 refer to the cap size, 12mm and 14mm give take.

Glove and belt snaps I'm not sure about, but my guess would be inline with what you are thinking, although I would think glove snaps would be the prong style snap with little teeth that act as the connection to each side. Like the snaps on a western shirt

Parallel snaps, never heard that name, but by your description is an "S" style snap. I use those because they have a nice feel and snap action when fastening, and can easily be pulled open, you would have seen these on most outerwear garments.

I would go to Joann or Hobby Lobby, they have some el cheap-o snap quality assortment bags, however, you are stuck on hardware to attach said snap, they all take different "attachers". Good luck!

And if you're doing a FAQ, the correct term (since everyone always seems to want to be exact and correct on here all the time) is "ligne"...not "line"...

@25b With snaps, it is "line" or "size" not ligne, ligne is for buttons. Per google.

It is industry standard to refer to snaps by “size" or "line" according to their cap diameter. However, this “size” does not correspond to any actual measurements. For example, size 20 snaps have a cap diameter of 12.4mm. It is important never to confuse a snap’s “size” with their actual measurements.

Please note the "size" standard pertains to the cap diameter only. Actual measurements for sockets, studs, and posts may vary between brands and styles, which is why it is important to never mix brands or styles.

@25b With snaps, it is "line" or "size" not ligne, ligne is for buttons. Per google.

It is industry standard to refer to snaps by “size" or "line" according to their cap diameter. However, this “size” does not correspond to any actual measurements. For example, size 20 snaps have a cap diameter of 12.4mm. It is important never to confuse a snap’s “size” with their actual measurements.

Please note the "size" standard pertains to the cap diameter only. Actual measurements for sockets, studs, and posts may vary between brands and styles, which is why it is important to never mix brands or styles.

1. That's not correct.

2. EVERYTHING you find on google is not correct.

These are all from professional websites that sell snaps:

https://grommetmart.com/product/171/24-ligne-15mm-5-8-inch-ring-snaps-4-part.html

http://www.sheridanleather.com/Ligne_24_Snaps_p/ligne-24.htm

http://www.perfectfit.com/15328/Snap-Fasteners.html

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/product_listing.asp_Q_catid_E_411_A_subcatid_E_454_A_prodid_E_3151

http://www.universal-fasteners.com/sk_snaps/sk_samples.html

http://www.micronamerica.com/index.cfm/product/336_9/24-ligne-15mm-58-ring-snaps-4-part.cfm

http://www.sailrite.com/PDF/Sailrite%20SnapRite%20Brochure.pdf

Every single one of them refers to them as "LIGNE"...not "LINE".

It's amazing that some people will go to great lengths in their wrongness just to appear "right"...unbelievable...

Edited by 25b

Thanks guys. Sounds like I should stick to one or two types of snap so I don't need to get a bunch of tools too. I'm quickly learning how expensive it can be to get started with leather. :/ I did buy the Tandy kit with a setter and Li(g)ne 20 snaps, and I'll probably eventually get some glove snaps for lighter work.

Don't worry about 25b, he got upset in another thread when he said Seiwa and Craft Sha tools were made in China and someone said they are in fact made in Japan. But I'm glad he brought it up here because it led me to this interesting Wikipedia article on ligne/line as used for buttons and snaps.

@doe, nstarleather and I were hitting on that, the cost can get you.

I can vouch for the Japanese Seiwa diamond stitching chisel, have the 4 prong in 4mm and 5mm, that plus 0.8mm tiger thread gives you beautiful hand saddle stitch results.

Glad you got some answers amid all the excitement.

I do appreciate that because it's exactly the kind of info I hadn't considered. Saves me from getting snaps I won't use or throwing good money after bad to try to set them.

As for chisels, I got a set of six (2- and 6-prong in 3.5, 4.5, and 5.5 mm) from leathercrafttools.com. They shipped fast (at my door exactly a week from when I placed the order) and seem really great. I made a small key fob to test them out and they were a dream to use. I'm still considering whether to splurge on tiger thread or not, it just seems so expensive compared to other threads.

Get a sample card of tiger thread off Etsy. You can get 25m and 50m samples. I won't buy anything else. Just search tiger thread, buy from US shippers if you can, much faster. Here is one listing a few colors now. https://www.etsy.com/listing/190248705/ritza-25-tiger-thread?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=tiger+thread&ga_locationQuery=6252001&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Lekoza is selling some Tiger thread sizes. Don't be afraid to buy from Abbey England if Lekoza doesn't have what you want - I got my shipment in two days. It's nice to be able to get smaller amounts of different colors of Tiger Thread on etsy, but it's substantially cheaper to buy 500m rolls from Abbey England, even including shipping. Of course, because I buy those big rolls, I only have black and white right now. So, yeah... there are trade-ins.

Not everything you read on the internet is true.--Abraham Lincoln