Phillip Carr

Quick Bag Question

I'm working on my first briefcase / msgr bag. I'm modeling it in miniature with scrap paper and have already run into an issue with the front and the back being the exact same width.

I used staples to simulate stitching, but my side gussets pull the front to touch the back. Should the front panel be slightly wider than the back?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Phillip, not entirely sure i understand your problem, but i do know that someone on here advised using craft felt instead of paper for mock ups, although not exactly like leather it behaves more like leather than paper and staples, you can glue the pieces together rather than stapling. Can you post a picture of the problem, i am not very experienced in leatherwork but have made bags with gussets and so might be able to help, here is a picture of a bag with a gusset i made my wife recently, both front and back pieces were cut from the same template, but i might be misunderstanding your problem.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=2647

Philip, . . . if I can, allow me to make a suggestion: print off a 40% or 50% off coupon for JoAnn fabric, . . . they have vinyl there for $18 bucks a yard that is I believe 54 inches wide.

You can do a monstrous number of workups with a couple yards of that stuff, . . . it just about mimics 3 oz veggie tan, . . . can be glued, sewn, stitched, laced.

I use it for my chaps mockups, . . . had one lady actually ask if I could make hers out of the stuff, . . . but I declined.

It works for all sorts of stuff, . . . best thing is it makes wonderful patterns too.

But in answer to your last question, . . . no, when I make a bag, . . . front and back are the same size.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Hi Phillip

I will through in my two cents worth.When I'm making a breifcase my front and back template are the same.I have a couple of breifcase on critique at the moment,they have twin gussets and all three panels are the same size.I have found out the hard way,that when you are stitching them up I start at the bottom centre and go one way then come back to the centre and go the other way.By doing this it stops the gusset from growing.What I mean of growing is that if you start at the top of the gusset and go all the way round by the time you get there your gusset will end up about an inch longer.dont know if that helps but works for me.

My two cents: craft foam for mockups. It bends and mostly acts like 4-5oz leather. And it's wicked cheap. Lots of pieces for little money = lots of room for error without cursing on money wasted :)