RStevenson

Tannery Row - Horween

Sure they do. Give a call to Shelley.

Be prepared to wait months. Every single chip in the tannery is spoken for the moment it gets graded.

Several years ago I ordered 3 or 4 Shell Cordovan. They didn't have Tannery Row set up at that point.

Don't remember the gentleman's name I dealt with but seems I remember it may have been one of the Horween family.

He told me he would get them out for me within a week or two. Two weeks passed, nothing. I called again asking for same man. He wasn't in but I told who I was speaking to that he had given me two weeks at the most. I had the shells in a few days.

Years ago I used a lot of the Shell Cordovan. Made fine wallets that were all laced by hand of course. Probably sold them for $10 maybe $15. Those hides were beautiful beyond your fondest dreams. Last ones I bought were just average. I accepted them because of the service I received, I will definitely buy from them again, and I will wait as patiently as I can.

BTW: Most if not all Cordovan Shoes are made of leather from Horween.

ferg

Wicket & Craig will split for you...

nope

they refuse to split down bellies

which is strange isn't it the part of a side? and the sides of course the split down.

I recently (within the last month) bought 10 horse butt strips direct from Tannery Row, with extortionate shipping.  For what it weighed, from Chicago to where I am, that weight cost $28 UPS ground.  I paid additional $69 shipping for $28 worth of shipping.  

Now, at the same time I also bought 20 "narrow, hard" strips from Maverick, I got a great discount for buying so many, super shipping, and comparing them to what I got from TR, they average the same width and length and thickness wise, and are in much better shape. 

One of the strips I got from TR is splitting/cracking like cardboard.  

My advice:  Ignore the tannery row.  Get your leather elsewhere.

Even Wicket & Craig have something on their site about using polyurethane in the finish?  Ha!

On 3/15/2016 at 9:22 AM, nrk said:

nope

they refuse to split down bellies

which is strange isn't it the part of a side? and the sides of course the split down.

W&C appear to be temperamental.  If you got them on a good day they might have said "sure thing!"  The reason why they might not is because belly is stretchier, and its removed from the bends and shoulders before the final finishings.