Avion

Want To Try My Hand At Western Inlay Belt

I would like to try a western tooled belt with hair-on calfskin inlay. My problem is that I have not seen any tutorials or any type of how to. For now, I would like to keep it as simple as possible. I'm guessing the belt would be an inch and a half wide, two layers of 10/12 ounce? As for the cut-out for the in-lay I am kinda clueless. Does anyone know of a site or literature, patterns, or even verbal instruction? I would like a traditional saddle stitch as I have no experience with a buck stitch. Also no billet on this belt, just a traditional English round point.. Help anyone? Thanks

Should have looked before I posted. I found this subject in an older forum post. I am still wondering if I can do this without a splitter and other accoutrements.

Hi Avion,

I think you will need some sort of tool to skive with, maybe only a safety skiver from Tandy. You will also need something to filigree the leather. I just use a inexpensive set of wood carving chisels I got at either Hobby Lobby or Michaels. They are fairly sharp and do a good job cutting out small areas and nice tight corners, better than I can do with an Xacto knife or scalpel. Also, you will probably need to sew the layers of the belt together, so maybe a good sewing awl or sewing machine that can handle leather.

hope this helps. Others on here with more experience will probably have other suggestions.

Bob