Sign in to follow this  

G'Day,

I am just about to embark on the restoration of a WW1 Military saddle. Its a UP .( universal pattern) .

I'll put some picks up.

This saddle was given to me by a local in my town ( in the central wheatbelt Western Australia).

He bought ( as is ) it at a market and he put it in his shed, where it remained for 40 years and its in pretty bad shape.

But these days, his health and his sight is slowly getting the better of him.

I don't make saddles, so this is my first, and indeed, it would be great if I can get it restored before his health worsens.

I'll be full of questions from here on.

Before I start grinding the old forged (?) rivets off ,that hold the wood to the metal, is there a suitable ( acceptable) replacment? Or do I have to have new forged rivets made?

The webbing, seatbelt webbing is not suitable ( so I've read) .

So what type , and how to strain it.

As you will see from the pics, the wood is in reasonable condition all except a small split where a rivet goes in, and some insect damage. I know a local wood worker that can help on that one.

The leather components are beyond redemption , you can see those in the background of the last pic., they've shrunk and are mis-shapen.. So trying to find cutting patterns may be a challenge.

Any info that you can provide will be very heplful, and very much appreciated.

All the best

HS

post-7215-0-65297000-1429847919_thumb.jp

post-7215-0-06136200-1429847949_thumb.jp

post-7215-0-61229300-1429847991_thumb.jp

post-7215-0-92541200-1429848030_thumb.jp

post-7215-0-37687500-1429848141_thumb.jp

G'day,

I am able to answer my own question now.

I received my first piece of advice...yey.

basically,

'unless I know a blacksmith ( which I don't) keep the wood attached. '

Theres no smithies in my town, or the next or the next after that .

The rivets need to be forged. Anything else will lessen its value and authenticity.

And another good point, I'm not sure the wood will be able to withstand all the

hammering & pounding of a smithies hammer, not today.

The wood stays on.

I can now start the restore process.

HS

I used to work in restoration and there's a fine line that separates' restoration from rebuilding as far as historical value is concerned. With this project It appears you'll be doing almost a full rebuild.

G'day again,

Update.

I have since received further advice from someone that has restored more than one of these military saddles.

As theres some slight movement ( looseness) on the wood panels, it will best to completely separate the wood from the metal arches .

Any movement is not good, especially if it is to be used. If it was just to be a display piece, it wouldn't be an issue.

I'd like this saddle to be a useable display piece. So the rivets are to be drilled out, not ground down, to avoid any damage to the metal. Also, that way I can see if theres any damage to the rivet holes.

If theres movement, thats because A- the hole is worn or B- the wood has rotted slightly. ( or both).

Either way, the wood can then be repaired. The replacing of the rivets is now not an issue.

Although I have some of the original leather components, that I may be able to take templates from, I do have some cutting patterns on the way, just in case the originals have shrunk.

The person I spoke to, has been really helpful in just about every aspect of the restoration from start to finish,

he's even happy to send me bits and pieces that are hard to find elsewhere, and we are now in regular contact.

I feel like I've made a new friend.

Unfortunately , some saddlers that I tried to contact previously , are not so forthcoming with info, not even a reply at all.

I have encountered that before. In one respect I can fully understand that they're only protecting their craft and/or trade, but I'm a person that likes to share & pass on info with those that are willing to learn the art & skills and indeed the joy of working with leather.

But anyway, I am making progress, albeit a bit slow, but its progress none-the-less.

All the best,

HS

PM, with hopefully useful manual, sent. Gary

Thanks Gary, I've got it.

What a beautiful find that is.

Thanks heaps.