I seen a picture of a wood gusset style bag on this site last night and thought it would be a nice bit of fun to make. Also a good way to use a bit of wood from an old pallet and a some leather that no one wants in a saddle these days as the colour is out of fashion.

I normally make English style saddles and it was nice and relaxing day getting away from the norm.

It was a simple style and easy pattern to do. The hard bit was cutting the wood as I only have a hand saw that I bought five years ago and probably only used once or twice cutting the shape was interesting but managed to survive that task with all fingers in tact.

post-39106-0-13252800-1429915920_thumb.j

Looks nice. It would be good for carrying items that should not be crushed.

Cool! I've wanted to make one of those.

Really nice! Did you get to try it out? Is it plan nails you use to attach the leather to the wood?

I tried it out and I used brass tacks.

Here is a video of one being made.

Karina

Edited by veedub3

I used brass escutcheon pins. I use them when putting the name plates on the saddles so had them in my workshop. I like the idea of using wood and leather together.

I have an idea in my head to use some more old pallet wood with leather and make a chest. Just got to wait till the next time I have some free time.

there is already a pattern in the pattern section for this bag

Wow, thanks so much for the respond! I no longer have an excuse not to do this project! Biglew, I have searched the forum, but was unable to find it - can you point me in the right direction? Only if it is not to much of a hassle for you of course!

Biglew you are absolutely correct, and I forgot all about it. I actually didn't use the pattern provided as it is so simple to make, I made a small handbag version.

FirstNick, here is the thread where the pattern is found: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=59684&hl=%2Bwood+%2Bgusset+%2Bbag

Karina