I'm almost finished with a knife sheath that I'm not really happy with, but the knifemaker likes it. It's got an iguana skin insert and I made the window a little too big; it's in the curve of front to back. I padded it before I put the liner in but I don't like how that worked either. Still -- I'll do another and it'll be better, right?

My question is -- how do I finish the iguana skin? The top layer of the sheath is 9-10oz vegtan, lined with 2-3oz. I've dyed the leather black and put a light coat of neatsfoot on it this morning. I put a little on the iguana skin too -- it's old and looked a bit dull. Don't know if I shoulda done that or not. I'm going to put some Resolene thinned half with water on the leather -- does that go on the iguana skin too?

Thanks.

Leather Balm w/ Atom Wax... apply a bit of that... let it dry.... and buff it to a nice shine ;)

Make sure you do this before adding the final finish.

Wow... just noticed that you posted this back in April. Guess this part of the forum doesn't get much traffic. Hope the sheath turned out great!

Thanks! I was going to post a picture of it here, but I can't find one. I guess I really didn't like it. Well, next time.

Angelus sells a reptile conditioner. I bought a bottle for 5 bucks. Cheryl

Thanks, Cheryl-- don't know why I didn't see this sooner.

The knifemaker sold the knife today and sent me a picture of it with the sheath. So I do have a picture.

post-58785-0-22844600-1445667309_thumb.p