Avion

I Just Thought It Was Sharp

I just received my Big Red Sharpening fixture from Chuck Smith, put my sk blade in and got it lined up, then spent the next hour sharpening and stripping. I have been doing this little chore by hand. Now, I'm not the best around at sharpening knives, but neither am I a slouch. This fixture put an edge on this blade Big Time! The sk glides through this Tandy leather like butter! I can't imagine using H.O leather. I am really surprised by the edge on this blade, and highly recommend this fixture.post-60097-0-81875000-1430177847_thumb.j

I told you! Congrats!!

Glad it worked out......carve on!

Handy deal, ain't it?

... Now, if only they made such a nifty device for all of the other blades we use!!

I've got Tandys version of that tool, and to me it's useless, I can get a sharper edge freehand. King's X or Bruce, is that brand much better or is it just I'm not doing it right? Thanks Troy

Troy.....it is hard to say because I do not know what your specifics are. I purchased a keen edge barrel for my SK-3 blades and use the Big Red for the regular shaft blades. I am a real big fan of the Big Red and suggest it to most people that ask. I do not think anyone that I have run into has regretted the purchase. I have had great success. Maybe Avion can connect with the issues you are having to see if your issues are similar? Sorry, I did not have more help for you.

The main difference I think between Tandys Keen Edge and Chuck Smiths big red is that the big red comes with an aluminum fixture block that is manufactured with a 30* angle. The Keen edge doesn't have this feature, you need to look at the sk blade angle and approximate the ground bevel on the blade to a flat surface. Maybe using a protractor with the keen edge would help.