Toffeehead

Alternative To Gun Trag

Can anyone recommend an alternative to gum trag for belt edges please. I use edge kote and have been using eco flow gum trag but one supplier no longer does it and a litre is about £30 from another. Just wondering if there is something else I can use just a good or better available in the UK.

I buy my gum trag from cake decorating shops as powder. I then just wet my finger, pop in in the powder and rub of the edges, it only costs a couple of £ and lasts ages.

Sheridan Outfitters in Wyoming offers Quik Slik which is an alternative to Gum Trag.

I use Gum Arabic, which is used extensively in the printing trade, as a finishing coat for lithographic printing plates (it prevents the plate surface from oxidising). When I run short I visit my local printing works and beg a small bottle from them. A half-litre bottle lasts for ages, and even this needs to be diluted 50:50 to get a good consistency. They may have what is known as 'synthetic gum', but it is basically the same, and works perfectly well.

water and natural beeswax

I switched a few months ago. I apply water to the edge first, burnish. apply the wax then burnish again. Sometimes I'll take an old piece of denim and run over it again after I burnish the wax.

Water and glycerine bar saddle soap here. I use beeswax sometimes but you have to dye first. If you use soap you can dye after burnishing.

I use water and glycerine (saddle) soap. I do not use Gum, but I have a a bottle of Quik Slik and it has worked great. You can even dye over it. The bottle is still full because soap and water has worked really well for me.

Water and glycerine bar saddle soap here. I use beeswax sometimes but you have to dye first. If you use soap you can dye after burnishing.

I usually dye my edges at the same time as I'm doing the rest so that's not been an issue for me yet

Liquid saddle soap, either purchased or currently making my own. Take a bar of saddle soap, shred it really fine, pour very hot water over it and stir. Couple shakes before starting. Apply to edge with a dauber and burnish away.

However, if you edge with pro oil black and go straight to the burnisher the pro oil dye gives quite a nice edge by itself. I've started just burnishing right after dying my edges. It's working out very well.