Cruzer

Help identifying type of leather used

Hi, everyone. I wanted to see if I could get some help in identifying the type of leather this lacing if cut from. I'd like to replicate this braid in 40"-50" lengths, so any online sources, color suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated as well. For scaling and practicallity purposes, the braided strands are approximately 1/4" in diameter and glued down to 2/3 oz tooling leather for a type of girthbelt used for a costume.

:whatdoyouthink:

Thanks in advanced,

Cruzer

Bolo.jpg

post-7930-1227278657_thumb.jpg

These braids looks a lot like the ones I make...I paste a photo here so you can see for your self.

I use Chap leather from HideHouse in CA, soft and nice and still very strong and durable.

braidings.jpg

post-5624-1227286061_thumb.jpg

Howdy,

The Burgundy lace look like Kangaroo Hide .. or something like that .

He seem very thin to me.

bye

Thanks for chiming in.

Wow, nice braid. I can only hope mine end up looking that good. I've been to the Hide House before. Their selection is amazing and it's literally nothing but leather from floor to ceiling. :o

I didn't considered kangaroo hide because I've never worked with it. I'll definitely look into it now. Yeah, I was thinking a 2/3 oz thickness would be ideal.

Thanks so much,

Cruzer

Looks like it might be regular veg tan. I've braided veg tan in the past and it's easier to get it to lay together than chrome tanned leathers unless you find a source for manufactured lace the width you want and that is getting really hard. Veg tan can be dyed, dampened, braided, saddle soaped and finished to make a really slick braid. Try it.

Looks like it might be regular veg tan. I've braided veg tan in the past and it's easier to get it to lay together than chrome tanned leathers unless you find a source for manufactured lace the width you want and that is getting really hard. Veg tan can be dyed, dampened, braided, saddle soaped and finished to make a really slick braid. Try it.

Looking at it again...You might have a point here Harry, like 2-3oz veg tan?

If not , Goat skin ,in spools about 90 Ft long ,cutted With a very régular with & thickness, ready to braid, was available in many stores few years ago .( Lace is cut with a circle pattern) But I d'ont now if such item are still available today .

But , i d'ont now if goat skin is suited for your project ( Strong enought an many other spécification)

... :whatdoyouthink: ?

I have never considered a veg tan. I always thought the pin point surface texture suggested a different type of hide. Would that type of texture be found on veg tanned? However, I can see how the lace lays into each other along the edges can suggest a tooling leather.

I had first thought an analine dyed upolstery leather, and then thought maybe it was a burgandy latigo...but it looks like I may have been wrong all along. There is some scuffing at the very bottom. Would veg tanned give that kind of distress look when scuffed?

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions.

Edited by Cruzer