I left a message on the forum in the dyes, finishes thread but didn't get an answer yet.... Sorry for the re-post but this is for a wallet/money clip that I need to be done with because it is sold...

I have been using Resolene and decided to try Tan-Kote... I tested this on piece of scrap but I guess my scrap was too small to see streaks in the Tan-Kote. I have managed to go back over the piece with just a damp wool swab, so now I have kind of a satin sheen to it but I want it to be shiny or at least more shiny.

How do you apply Tan-Kote without it being streaky? Can I dilute it with water like Resolene?

HELP! Please!

Terry

I believe I read on another thread that guys were cutting it with water, and having to really mix it well. Your item is likely rather small, I've never fought with streaks from tan kote on something of that size. I apply liberally with a gauze pad and then wipe it off similar to a polyurethane finish on wood. Let it dry a few minutes and buff with a clean cotton rag. If you try this and aren't successful you could likely remove some of the excess with a rag and rubbing alcohol.

Thanks rawcustom!

Not that I don't value raw's input, I would just like to get input from several different methods that I could try before I screw up my piece!

Anyone else care to comment?

With Tan Kote you won´get it shiny as with resolene. I myself see this as a positive point for the Tan Kote, but taste differes I guess ^^.

I apply it with a cloth wraped around a sponge using no pressure at all (more like merely feelin the contact to the leather. Besides that I cut it down with water. Did it sometimes with up to 1/5 TK/Water, so you got some room for experiments. I would thin it at least a litte, as it is much easier to apply it evenly.

I actually did dilute and try on another item and was able to just use water on a rag to wipe the streaks off of the piece and blend them in. Big sigh of relief...

I will definitely be doing some more practice using different methods...

Thanks,

Terry

depending on the project and its intended use...lotsa times i use neutral shoe polish to finish...doesnt darken natural leather much right away...takes some use/ time...buffing it real well when you apply it, it produces a nice gloss and will darken to look even better over time...however...if you've got a lotta carving/ tooling, be prepared to get extra shoe polish outta the deeper cuts and impressions ( took me a while to find soft bristle brushes to do it with)

I hate to say it, but I'm not fond of Tan Kote for that reason. I use about everything but Tan Kote. Carnauba, Super Sheen, Satin Sheen, Leather Sheen spray, Leather Balm, etc. Tan Kote seems so thick for a finish you don't rub in. Maybe I'll come to like it someday.