There are frequent requests for help & advice on getting started by beginners. That means they receive very similar replies each time.

There is already a section on 'Getting started'. How about creating a sticky/pinned thread in that section entitled 'Help For Beginners' or 'Advice for Beginners'

It would include things like a list of references to books and YouTube; suppliers; and a basic tool list.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea? Or not?

Now I'm missing the voting feature again. I'm all for that suggestion.

This is, of course, a good idea. If someone would like to do something like this, one of us would be happy to pin it somewhere for you. While we have a heap of talent amongst the moderators, actual moderating (that means reading everything you post in addition to fighting fires) takes-up a lot of our time and makes doing an article like this hard to accomplish. For now, check out the vendors at the top of the page; many have done videos for their patrons, SLC comes to mind.

Art

Art, let's see if I've understood correctly. You will create a pinned thread if other members will post the advice?

Well, I don't claim to be an expert, but I would contribute a couple of posts, similar to those I have made in the past; one on references, and one on a basic tool list.

No doubt others will add their views, and cover other aspects, in a similar manner to other pinned threads. That's what a forum is for.

zuludog, he's suggesting that someone writes or collects all the stuff and he'll be happy to pin that post or thread.

There have been so many occasions where people have posted extensive lists... when I see them, I'll start collecting them into one document. If a couple of people do that when they see them and compare notes in a month or two, we should have a very decent beginners list/resource list pretty quickly.

Oh, Monica! Are you going to help? Thank you very much!

I'm afraid I've bitten off more than I can chew. As I've indicated, I'm more than willing to make contributions on 2 or 3 subjects, but I don't have enough understanding of computers or leatherwork to do the whole thing.

If you confirm this I will post updated lists of resources & basic tools. I could also try to explain the thickness/sizing measurements for leaher

I will definitely help, but as you say, it's a gigantic job (which is why no one has done it, yet!) and it'll take a while. I'll try to work on it on and off as I roam around the forum. Don't count on my organization skills, though, I do haven't any. ;)

I am in no way volunteering... :dunno: as I just never have time to read all the posts on here as it is...

BUT, even if there was a pin somewhere that was one post that had some links to great articles already on the forum.

IE: Bob Park's casing and edges, links to Nigel's youtube channel and/or individual saddlestitch video... etc...

It would be a huge help to us newbies...

Maybe just broken down into newbie categories..

Starter Kits vs. ala carte

Vendors (Just links to some) that could probably be it's own page due to everyone selling different items.

I´m for sure not a big bird when it comes to real leather work (not at all) but I sometimes stumble over some vintage tools but I the hell don´t know what they were used for. So I leave them alone though it probably could be worth buying them. And I´m sure I´m not alone with this. So what for newbies could be very helpful is an introduction of tools like 1 or 2 pictures of a certain tool a small description and one or two additional pictures or a Video showing the tool in use. Maybe in different categories (as terrypen suggested) like cutting, stamping, carving, sewing, moulding/shaping.... and so forth.

I´m sure this is not easy but would for sure be very helpful.

I´ts just an idea.

Hey guys, I have a post with a similar goal going in the Resources forum. I am starting a leathercrafting wiki that I think would serve this purpose very well. Like Wikipedia, it is set up so that anyone here can edit it. I am working on roping in some people from the leathercrafting forum on reddit to help as well.

You can find the very beginings of it here:
https://leathercraft.wikispaces.com/

She is not much to look at right now, but with the help of the online community we should be able to pull something fantastic together.

Right now I am working on articles on all the tools I can list. That should be a good place to start for anyone who needs a foot in the door. Pick a tool, search for it, and if nothing pops up, write about it.

Eventually I want to expend it to include information on tools, techniques, suppliers, styles, patterns, outside resources, anything and everything useful in one, well organized, easily searchable, easily expandable resource.

If anyone wants to help there are a lot of areas to work in. Even if you feel that you do not have the knowledge to contribute content, if this is a resource you would like to see realized we can use your help in editing for clarity of language and consistancy of style, in tracking down photographs, and a number of other things I haven't thought about yet.

If you feel like you have the knowledge to write content but are not comfortable with the process of writing with h3's and anchor links and all that technical jargon, that is why we have editors. Just write what you know and someone else will make sure it displays correctly.

If you anybody was particularly inspired by any of that I have set up an email for coordinating the project, you can reach me there at wiki@wizenedoakleather.com