shadowryder

What Is Best Surface Material For Hole Punching On Bench.

for me it's certainly lead.To make some holes for rivets or anything like ,there is no risk of contamination .

1/3rd of the gravestone I use for a granite tooling slab is covered with a thick piece of scrap veg-tan 12-14 oz. Contact cement REALLY holds when applied correctly.

anyone know of a cheap solution you can buy at your local walmart/homedepot/ hobylobby preferably under 10$

6 hours ago, StickHer said:

anyone know of a cheap solution you can buy at your local walmart/homedepot/ hobylobby preferably under 10$

IF you have a solid backing underneath it . . . the white cutting boards sold in housewares are good.  

AND they are cheap.  They will get marked up a bit after several month's use . . . simply flip em over and use the other side.

They're also cheap to replace.

Lay it on a piece of marble or granite . . . and whack away.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

6 hours ago, StickHer said:

about a six inch end piece of a log or a 4x4 . for free at a construction site of lumber yard

I have a nice big crystal cutting mat that I use for most things but for punching holes (or anything that would wear out the mat) I use a block of lead. If I didn't have the lead, I would take four short lengths of 4x4 and screw them together into a nice solid cube and use that. 

On 5/4/2015 at 3:58 AM, Geneva said:

I use a piece of HDPP, 1" thick high density polypropalene, in red. I have had it for about 5 or 6 years works great.

Perfect.

On 1/14/2020 at 6:49 AM, paloma said:

for me it's certainly lead.To make some holes for rivets or anything like ,there is no risk of contamination .

Probably not but it still isn't any better than a cheap cutting board.

One consequence of the theft of roofing lead has been the development on non-toxic self-healing alternatives, which aren't as heavy, which might not be a good thing. It's the selfhealing aspect which intrigues me: has anyone tried any of those?