Evo160K

What Machine Do These Presser Feet Fit?

The presser feet in the picture are being offered to me along with some Singer 45K parts I'm buying. The feet don't fit the Singer 45K25 I'm restoring, so I'm not going to buy them unless someone here on LW wants them. I'm told they fit a Singer machine.

Can anyone identify what they fit?

Does anyone need them?

post-52198-0-07305400-1430532623_thumb.j

They are for "jump foot" machines like the 45K58

I think Frankqv has a 45K with jump foot. Not sure if JIMI from Spain has one but I´d at least ask them.

If I were I would buy them anyway and put them in the sale section. Would be a shame when they again disappear in a drawer for the next 30 years.

Edited by Constabulary

Hi Al, hi folker, thanks for keeping us in mind. but no jump foot here, if they are not too expensive i would do like constabulary said, buy them and sell them later on when someone asks for spare feet. i am sure you will be able to sell them sooner or later. did you find out the thread breaking problem ?? regards jimi.

Hi Jimi, hi Folker,

Thanks for identifying the feet. I will buy them if they're reasonably priced. What is a reasonable price btw? I know even less about jump feet than I do the K25. Folker, I'll ask Frankqv if he needs them, thanks for suggesting it.

Jimi, I haven't solved the thread breaking issue yet. I've contacted the sewing machine mechanic, but he hasn't had time to get with me yet. I still plan to post a few of videos showing what's happening when the thread breaks, I've made one video showing the machine sewing fine without material. I'll get one done with material soon. Thanks for asking, Jimi.

Hi. I realise that this thread is a bit of an old one,but are these feet still available?

Cheers :@)

Hi. I realise that this thread is a bit of an old one,but are these feet still available?

Cheers :@)

Not sure. I lost track of the seller. At the time, the people wanted $300 for them with freight, which I though was high, I passed on them. There appears to be two of each.

Edited by Evo160K

$300 is way too much. they are rare but $100 delivered would probably leave some room for profit

On the 45k I often find that missed stitches or thread breakage is due to wear or rust in the tension assemblies.

Check that there is not a groove worn in the top tension rod. If there is the fix is to screw it out then screw it back in with a small washer behind it as it will present a fresh surface for the thread to run across.

Dismantle the main tension and clean up all surfaces with 000 steal wool to remove any rust. If the felt spacers are stuffed then they are available at reasonable cost.

Pull out the shuttle and remove the spring so you can see what is under it. If there are rough edges you can possibly polish them out but a new one is inexpensive and should work first up.

One often ignored problem is rough edges in the needle plate. You can buy a new one or just drill the hole slightly larger then use a bigger drill bit to chamfer the rough edges.

Look at those issues before going to a mechanic.

Thanks Darren for the excellent fixes and tips.

Would you happen to have an operators manual for a 45K53? I bought one recently and am puzzled by how the upper feed is adjusted.

Regards,

Al

Darren has some great tips there,but I'd like to add a few thoughts if I may.

Broken thread issues: check ALL of the thread path for sharp edges due to wear. It could be something so simple as a worn guide that gone sharp. Also,check that the hook timing is correct and the hook and race are in good condition. There should be a reasonable amount of slop,but too much can cause timing issues.

As for missing stitches, it kinda ties in with what I've just said about the hook and raceway. My suggestion would be to take the hook out of the machine and check it for wear/scoring of the hook and retainer plate.

If all seems ok, refit, then remove the needle plate and check the needle - hook timing.

Turn the handwheel till the needle reaches the absolute bottom. Continuing in the same direction (slowly!) Watch as the needle starts it's travel in the upward direction and the hook point will meet the needle. Stop turning and examine where the hook point is in respect to the needle scarf and eye. The hook point should pass roughly midway up the scarf,above the eye. Also the hook point should be around 1.5mm-2mm max away from the needle. You don't want it to contact,but it needs to be close enough to catch the thread.

Hope this helps some,and if you need any more guidance with timing and adjustments,just drop me a PM.

Let me know how you get on :-)

Bikerdaz,

Thanks for your interest and detailed feed back. Turned out the fiberglass thread that I was having trouble with couldn't withstand the stress and severe bending/angle going through 16 oz. +/_ of hard leather......thread just wasn't strong enough for that.

What do you do with mc seats? I've made a couple from scratch for my Harley softail.

Ahhh fair comment. Good to hear you have found the problem . I had a similar issue with one of my 132k6's that turned out to be incorrect hook timing.

Anyhoo...

I'm fairly new to leather work so haven't done a great deal as yet. I've made a few seats from scratch for custom built bikes and re covered the seats in my van. But that's it. I'm more of a machine geek! I love restoring old machines, especially singers,with about 25 resto's under my belt now. My 45k 58 was the last one I done! Currently on a class 7-31

It's the older machines that attract me also, primarily Singers. Oddly, I don't sew at all, just like tinkering with the machines. How can one not admire the quality, strength and beauty, particularly when compared to modern, throw-away machines. That's not to take away from other sewing marquees, I have no experience them except for the Claes we used in our business, that I restored.

Up to now, someone else has covered my seats, hopefully that will change, since I have the machines.

Do you know anything about the Singer 45K53? I just bought one.

I agree..I find these machines fascinating. Especially when you think about the reality of them...machines over a century old and still working as well as the day they were made! Astounding...Personally,I reckon that there is very little machinery produced in the world today that will still be working in a hundred years.

Your 45k53, that would be the cylinder bed version?

"Personally,I reckon that there is very little machinery produced in the world today that will still be working in a hundred years." What does that say about our value system?

Yes, the 45K53 is a cylinder bed machine.

Exactly! It's a throw away society now. Companies don't make things that last because there's no profit in well built! That's just my take on it tho...

That 45k of yours, probably one of the best leather working machines you can get! Obviously I'm no expert in this field,but it's a heavy duty machine,very capable and quite versatile in the way of what you can do on it. Just find/make yourself a flatbed table with a cutout and you'll probably find that it'll do almost everything you need it to.

Good choice of machine...but that's just my opinion.;-)

I sell Cowboy machines and they are pretty good but I doubt that any of them will be running in 100 years time.

Even the best current ADLER or Juki machines of today probably won't run in 100 years time but I could be wrong.

The other way to look at it is that a CB4500 is worth about one months average wages but a Pearson 6 was worth 2-3 years average wages.

It is possible to build a machine to last 100 years or more with spares but is anyone prepared to pay $US50,000

This is very true darren,but I reckon from a business perspective,it would be a sound investment to buy 'the last machine you'll ever buy'. But...i guess it all just horses for courses. Personally tho,it'd choose an old singer over a modern machine any day :-)

slightly off topic tho here guys ;-)

Edited by bikerdaz

From a business perspective that makes no sense at all.

You do not buy a delivery vehicle and expect it to last for 60 years. If that was the case my great grandfather would have been buried with his Model A delivery van.

Technology changes and improves.

In a previous life I was a refrigeration mechanic and found it amazing that companies that would lease vehicles for 3years/50 thousand kilometres would expect their air conditioning unit to run 24 hours per day 7 days a week and get upset when they started breaking down after 20 years of service.

I love old sewing machines but the older they get the more expensive they are to maintain and the more often they will be out of service and not earning you money.

Everything mechanical is subject to wear.

This is very true darren,but I reckon from a business perspective,it would be a sound investment to buy 'the last machine you'll ever buy'. But...it guess it all just horses for courses. Personally tho,it'd choose an old singer over a modern machine any day :-)
slightly off topic tho here guys ;-)

But we aren't talking about vehicles here darren,we are talking about sewing machines. They're a whole different ball game. The only similarity is that they're both mechanical devices. There is another slight similarity tho...

Modern cars are designed and built to last 10-15 years and be scrapped.

Classic cars were much simpler and made to last. There are still cars driving on our roads that were built in the 20's,30's,40's etc. ..

That's almost 100 years!

How many ford focuses do you think will be on the roads in 100 years?

As for sewing machines,especially vintage singers, yes...They can be expensive to repair and somewhat difficult to source parts. But if they are maintained as per schedule they will still outlast modern machines because the build quality Is far superior to anything modern that I've seen.

One of the biggest factors that contribute to older machines' longevity is the quality of the steel from which it's made. British steel is by far the best steel that had ever been made,Barr none...As opposed to the scrap that the Chinese are pumping out which modern machines are made from,there is no comparison. Hence my reasoning behind choosing older singers over modern tin...

But hey,I guess we all have our own personal preferences! Nobody is right or wrong...its down to the individual and what works for them.

Edited by bikerdaz

'Everything mechanical is subject to wear'

Yes,you are correct. But the amount of wear would be far greater on a machine made from cheap metals and especially so on a machine that has a poor maintenance schedule...

Yes, there are 100 year old vehicles on the road but they get 2MPG and cost a fortune to keep on the road as parts have to be custom made.

Life expectancy is directly related to cost of materials and accuracy of manufacture. As I said before - Chinese heavy machines cost a months wages but a Pearson 6 when new was worth several years wages. Would you pay $100,000 for a new sewing machine?

A well cared for modern Chinese machine will easily run for 20 years or more before needing major work as the leather machines we are talking about rarely run at more than a couple of hundred stitches per minute. Bearing wear is directly related to RPM and the bearing areas are huge for the loads involved.

The Australian and US sewing industry folded because they tried to compete with Japan and then China while using machines that were 50 years old while the Asians poured money into modern technology.

China uses ultrasonic sewing machines for synthetic materials in the underwear industry and fully automatic machines for sheets and towels. The automotive comparison is relevant as it is the equivalent of using a Model A tray back to compete with a modern diesel prime mover for interstate deliveries.

The same goes for any production machinery.

But we aren't talking about vehicles here darren,we are talking about sewing machines. They're a whole different ball game. The only similarity is that they're both mechanical devices. There is another slight similarity tho...
Modern cars are designed and built to last 10-15 years and be scrapped.
Classic cars were much simpler and made to last. There are still cars driving on our roads that were built in the 20's,30's,40's etc. ..
That's almost 100 years!
How many ford focuses do you think will be on the roads in 100 years?
As for sewing machines,especially vintage singers, yes...They can be expensive to repair and somewhat difficult to source parts. But if they are maintained as per schedule they will still outlast modern machines because the build quality Is far superior to anything modern that I've seen.
One of the biggest factors that contribute to older machines' longevity is the quality of the steel from which it's made. British steel is by far the best steel that had ever been made,Barr none...As opposed to the scrap that the Chinese are pumping out which modern machines are made from,there is no comparison. Hence my reasoning behind choosing older singers over modern tin...
But hey,I guess we all have our own personal preferences! Nobody is right or wrong...its down to the individual and what works for them.

Maintenance is a different issue altogether and I have seen ADLER machines that stop working after a year because the owner did not bother to remove the needle plate and clean out the crap. Price/quality are no insurance against stupidity.

'Everything mechanical is subject to wear'

Yes,you are correct. But the amount of wear would be far greater on a machine made from cheap metals and especially so on a machine that has a poor maintenance schedule...

'A well cared for modern Chinese machine will easily run for 20 years or more before needing major work as the leather machines we are talking about rarely run at more than a couple of hundred stitches per minute.'

As opposed to well cared for singers that are still thumping away 100 years down the line. And singers weren't really extortionately priced. Darren,you keep quoting really expensive machines to suit your argument, but we weren't talking about any of these. Obviously there are machines that have been made that have been ridiculously priced,but you can't compare them to run of the mill stuff. you quote a cowboy 4500,then compare it to a pearson 6. Nobody mentioned pearson machines...We are talking about a 45k here. And even tho 45k parts are getting a bit thin on the ground, I still reckon they'll outlast most modern machines. Don't get me wrong tho,modern machines have their place. But ultimately,they all do the same job. They all create stitches....You say technology has come on,but what exactly does a modern machine do that an old singer doesn't? Not much I'd say...

'Price/quality are no insurance against stupidy'

I completely agree with you darren. I service/repair/rebuild machines in my down time. You can advise people to clean/oil machines routinely but you can't make them! It's just frustrating when you try help people that won't help themselves...

These presser feets will also fit Adler class 5-27,5-8 and 105/104 with jump foot. There are a couple of new members that has acquired such Adler machines that might want to buy them. If they still are available?

Tor

Edited by Trox

Firstly I want to make it clear that I am enjoying this debate and no nastiness is intended!!!!! I hope you understand that I love old machines and it is a huge part of my business.

It is difficult to compare apples to apples and I used the Pearson as an example as it is equivalent to the CB4500 which seems to be the most popular machine on this forum. Personally I love the 45k25 and I know master saddlers who still use them for the majority of their work despite owning more modern machines.

Is the GA5 as well built as well as the 45k? Possibly.

Are the materials and heat treatment as good? No, No, No and No!!

Will they improve? Yes.

Japan built many of the Singer machines from the 1960's and even improved on them but the difference is that they were doing it to Singer specifications so had a great starting point. China is starting from a lower point and in many - not all - cases is reverse engineering machines.

The great news is that many Chinese parts fit the Singer 45k so there will be a supply of wear parts for decades to come!!

I disagree with you on pricing. As a comparison you only need look at domestic Singer machines where they pretty much invented Hire Purchase so people could afford them. Today a domestic machine is extremely cheap if we compare base models. The same comparative pricing goes for industrial machines.

'A well cared for modern Chinese machine will easily run for 20 years or more before needing major work as the leather machines we are talking about rarely run at more than a couple of hundred stitches per minute.'
As opposed to well cared for singers that are still thumping away 100 years down the line. And singers weren't really extortionately priced. Darren,you keep quoting really expensive machines to suit your argument, but we weren't talking about any of these. Obviously there are machines that have been made that have been ridiculously priced,but you can't compare them to run of the mill stuff. you quote a cowboy 4500,then compare it to a pearson 6. Nobody mentioned pearson machines...We are talking about a 45k here. And even tho 45k parts are getting a bit thin on the ground, I still reckon they'll outlast most modern machines. Don't get me wrong tho,modern machines have their place. But ultimately,they all do the same job. They all create stitches....You say technology has come on,but what exactly does a modern machine do that an old singer doesn't? Not much I'd say...

'Price/quality are no insurance against stupidy'
I completely agree with you darren. I service/repair/rebuild machines in my down time. You can advise people to clean/oil machines routinely but you can't make them! It's just frustrating when you try help people that won't help themselves...