Hello everyone,

I have seen this wallet online and I would really like to make it for my husband's birthday. Can anyone make this pattern for me, PLEASE?

And one more thing is that i'm newbie LOL. It would be so nice if someone could tell me about some basic tools I could use to make a wallet like this.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

post-62155-0-40117000-1430628053_thumb.j

Seriously???

How about using the search feature in the pattern section which may lead you to a cordovan wallet and you just modify it. All you need is just the outer dimensions and go from there. Wouldn't even take the time to think about this wallet a lot as it's just rectangles and some stitching.

Okay, I may have to apologize, or not. This is your first post to the forum at all. So without intro you are looking for help... Usually people introduce themselves first and ask a question then.

Edited by Thor

wow thor a little harsh there aint it. didn't get your coffee in yet ??? (chuckle)

i mean sure people intro them selves first and ask questions later, but we generally don't try to scare people off on their first post. we were all new to the site once our selves and didn't know what to expect i know i sure didn't and it took me a lot of courage to start talking on here.

so to begin with welcome to the site thientran2711 here you can find many patterns for some type of wallet that you can modify with some ease. do a search for tboyce his patterns may or may not be what your looking for but its a start in the right direction.

First off Welcome to leatherworker.net.

There's a WHOLE lot more to making that wallet than "here's the pattern, and a sewing machine" (which aren't cheap). You can check out the sub-forum on wallets, belts, etc. to get an idea of how it's done, and Tboyce has some printable pattern .PDFs

ETA: dang it, madhatter, ya beat me to 'reply' button

chuckle, sorry twinoaks

Hi Thientran,

You might want to watch this video. Excellent video although he doesn't cover the rolled edges, and the card insert you can make-up after you finish the wallet. He also sells a pattern for this on Etsy. It isn't that expensive and worth it I think. I recommend you go thin on the leather, like 2 or 3 oz; a regular sewing machine can usually handle that.

Art

First of all, I apologize for not introducing myself before asking for some help and my language using if it is quite weird to some of you (English is not my first language). Honestly, I have never been in a forum like this before, I mean English-version forum with so many English-language people. I'm Asian. When I was in my country, if I wanted to look for help in a forum, just went straight to the point. And when I read some posts here, I saw that they just asked. (I didn't know that they have talked about themselves before). So I kinda shocked and ashamed when some of you react like that. That's my bad. So sorry.

Then, about the pattern, I swear that I search on google, youtube, tandyleather.com, or even this forum as well. But they are not like what I want. Maybe to some of you, this kind of wallet is super easy to modify or make, but not me. I just knew this art few days ago. I fall in love with it. I also looked up for some leather classes around my area (Georgia), but they only teach how to make a belt or business wallet. That's why I come up to this post. You have no idea that how much I want to learn it. I even think about driving 12 to 14 hours to Texas to take a class of making leather wallet. If it was just simple like go to the store, buy some leather, and then make it, I would. But it's expensive, tools and leather. That's why I ask here cuz I think It's faster and easier.

Anyways, that's my bad of not introducing anything. Just like knock a door, step into someone's house without permission. That's too rude. I know.

I thank all of the replies above, especially someone who shows me some hints and video which help me a lot to look up for the pattern. Next time, I will know what I should do before asking for help.

P/S: I'm only 20, still too young. And, the Asian culture and American one are huge different, so hope all of you do not mind about my behavior. Once again, sorry and thank you so much!

Edited by thientran2711

I'm not American, but it's the same or even more so in Europe. You still didn't find a pattern you can modify to your needs? Well try this search on pinterest https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=leather%20wallet%20pattern

Or use this on this forum http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=54776&hl=%2Bbifold+%2Bpattern and modify to your needs. Yours really just has an ID flap in the middle.

Or this step-by-step picture guide https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/aa/cf/ab/aacfabdbff07cd309fedc3f531038b0c.jpg

And at the end of the day making your own pattern or modifying an existing one is part of the fun ;)

Hi there and welcome. I am not American or English my self also. There are a lot of information in this forum and through the web. a lot of video tutorials that will give you to understand. If you dont understand something there are a lot of people in the forum will gladly help you. But first you must do your own research.

I'm new to the forum as well, new to leatherworking, and I don't use forums very much anyway. I have to admit, I've had some trouble navigating this site as well. It's difficult to know what to search for when you're not even familiar with some of the basic terminology. Perhaps posts like these should simply be directed to a newcomer-friendly sub-forum?

I'm new to the forum as well, new to leatherworking, and I don't use forums very much anyway. I have to admit, I've had some trouble navigating this site as well. It's difficult to know what to search for when you're not even familiar with some of the basic terminology. Perhaps posts like these should simply be directed to a newcomer-friendly sub-forum?

We don't quite look at it that way. For the newcomer, and the oldtimer, it is advantageous to click on the "view new content" button at the top of the page. Then for the first time through click on the "mark community read" button and select "mark all as read" to reset the read messages. Then you will be able to see all messages from all forums and read them all if you want or not and when you have seen enough you can "mark all as read" again. A forum for newcomers would probably only be inhabited by newcomers, moderators, and ambassadors.

We stink at searches, this is not just us as not many forums can have the search capabilities of google. Google has more indexing on a site than the site itself has, they have buildings full of servers to run and index the multitude of information generated by a plethora of web crawlers to build those indexes. We can't do that, and if we could it would cost too much, ain't gonna happen.

Soooooooooooooooo................USE GOOGLE!!!!

if you want to see posts about wallets on leatherworker.net, type the following into the google search line:

site:leatherworker.net wallet

for wallets and other related stuff try:

site:leatherworker.net ~wallet

Leatherworker.net has been around a while and you are not interested in old posts try:

site:leatherworker.net wallet 2014..2015

this will give you only the last two years of wallet posts

Lets say that is great but you really hate alligator and don't want to see anything about that, then try"

site:leatherworker.net wallet -alligator 2014..2015

There are other more powerful criteria and search parameters which you can research. We of course hope you have fun with the site.

Art

Now THAT is newbie friendly!

As a side note, though, I've had pretty decent luck perusing the "Getting Started" subforum as well. It's probably not as user friendly for finding something very specific, but for generally getting into the craft, it's been quite helpful. There are wallet patterns (and other basic patterns) in there, although I haven't tried looking for the specific style mentioned by the OP.

Excellent advice Art. Found a few posts I had seen before but couldn't find a second time.

Thientran2711 - Don't worry on your behavior. It's fine. We've all had good and bad luck finding things in here in the forums. Welcome to our house, enjoy the show.

HI thientran2711

Making the rolled edges on the wallet you want can be difficult. I would suggest you look at Ian Atkinson's webpage at http://www.ianatkinson.net/leather/videos.htm He has a loads of videos that will show you the tools you will need and how to make a wallet. He has a pattern you can buy and then make it with the help of his video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNXfMC0SqP4

Once you make a couple of these you could then change the pattern to make the wallet you have in your picture.

Good Luck

Mick

Thanks

That wallet is certainly thinner leather than 3 oz.. more like 1 1/2 oz. And realistically, if somebody already made a pattern for something similar, it may save a guy some time to spend a few bucks to get the pattern. But, I certainly wouldn't spend the time i saved watching a video that's over an hour.

Patterns should come with instructions how to use them. Useless if they don't come WITH that.