dirkba

Leather "duffle" Bag

Hi Guys,

I have tried my hand at this before, but now I need assistance!

Anyone out there that has a pattern for one of the following styles:

1.Tie down

post-51328-0-60392500-1430751958_thumb.j

2. Base to base zipper

post-51328-0-91673600-1430752290_thumb.j

Or explain to me the way to cut the leather to achieve the outcome I wish to persue.

Thanks - I know there are experts at this!

Edited by dirkba

I would like to know also #1

I am looking for the same idea as the tie down bag.Been folding bits of paper to get ideas.Have you another view,best to see the underside.

Not a pattern, but how you would create that, is to take your two rectangles of leather (or one large rectangle and omit the bottom stitch), stitch the bottom and two sides and attached your zipper to the two top edges. Create the square bottom of the bag by cutting rectangles and then stitching the two sides together to create the box. On the upper edge, don't do this. Flip the bag to the outside and you will have your tie down section because that triangle would have been your rectangle if you wanted to box it.. You see this done a lot in dopp kits but I've never seen on in a duffle. Looks great!

I would say by looking at it use a large box and use a gift wrap method to achieve the look of the first picture, just my 2 sense

Hi,

Isaac - I don't have any other view - sorry.

ShannonW - thanks for the reply, but I was lost in the second par. Being a pictures person it might help if you could perhaps send me a sketch.

Thor - I have made a bag similar to the idea you sent (see pic), but it seems for a tie down the pattern needs to be cut specifically to allow for the tie down.

post-51328-0-79187300-1433238754_thumb.j

Hi. I found a almost exact bag in Woolworths East London RSA. Have pics and dim's. I will try to post from here. Am out of the country now. Intend making one when I get back. Cheers.

you can check her video here vimeo.com/sivanidesigns

Edited by gndy

Hi,

google "LZ patterns" and you will find a pattern for your desired type of bag and many other patterns for leather items. I purchased one already and it works. The patterns are good quality and they send the PDF patterns printable for a normal printer. They cost around 4 to 10 dollars. I think it is a good source for basic patterns.

Edited by Angie

Thanks Isaac - sent you a pm

Hi Gndy - I have studied the video, but it does not give away the "secret" of dimensions you have to allow for the zip end to tie down. I

am currently working on the idea.

Angie - thanks for directing me to the pattern site. I think it is definitely a site to use for future patterns. however the only pattern I could identify is that of a dr bag - it has a difference to the tie down since it has an "opener"

Thanks Isaac - sent you a pm

Hi Gndy - I have studied the video, but it does not give away the "secret" of dimensions you have to allow for the zip end to tie down. I

am currently working on the idea.

Angie - thanks for directing me to the pattern site. I think it is definitely a site to use for future patterns. however the only pattern I could identify is that of a dr bag - it has a difference to the tie down since it has an "opener"

Me too , i've watched it over and over again without any clue .

I searched again and found this tutorial. Maybe it could be of help for your project. I really like that kind of box-bag and will sure build one myself, too.

In the tutorial she makes the one with the zipper going all the way to the bottom.

http://coconutrobot.com/2014/06/the-perfect-fathers-day-gift/

AND I spent this morning doing some papercraft in order to find out the way the other model (folded over zipper tips) is done.

It seems to be very easy.

Here are some pictures:

It is actually folded like the tetrapak. I don´t know if its called tetrapak in the US. Tetrapak is the recicable milk bin.

post-6358-0-13584100-1433590094_thumb.jp

post-6358-0-66024900-1433590107_thumb.jp

Edited by Angie

I tried to make the paper model in leather and here is the outcome. Not finished yet.

It looks more or less like the one on your first picture I think.

Sorry for the different threads and the imperfection, I am still a beginner.

I like the little bag actually and sure will make some more in different sizes.

post-6358-0-98145100-1433620551_thumb.jp

I searched again and found this tutorial. Maybe it could be of help for your project. I really like that kind of box-bag and will sure build one myself, too.

In the tutorial she makes the one with the zipper going all the way to the bottom.

http://coconutrobot.com/2014/06/the-perfect-fathers-day-gift/

AND I spent this morning doing some papercraft in order to find out the way the other model (folded over zipper tips) is done.

It seems to be very easy.

Here are some pictures:

It is actually folded like the tetrapak. I don´t know if its called tetrapak in the US. Tetrapak is the recicable milk bin.

Can u unfold it plz

Hi again,

I took some pics of how to fold the paper model which helped me also to understand the measurements needed to get the desired final dimension.

It starts with nothing more than a rectangle

post-6358-0-46786000-1433671307_thumb.jp

post-6358-0-92302100-1433672259_thumb.jp

Then you fold it in half and "sew". If it were the leather model you´d start sewing the zipper at first and THEN this side.

post-6358-0-34189200-1433671362_thumb.jp

Here you can see what it looks like after "sewing" the side. Now make the sewing flat so that the triangle is formed. Tuck it in to meet the bottom line and sew

post-6358-0-23440100-1433671415_thumb.jp

For this explanation I did only one side. Now, I guess, you already got the trick.

The folded over zipper tips will form automatically.

post-6358-0-75702300-1433672280_thumb.jp

I made the paper model several time to figure out where and when in the process I have to attach those little straps and/or additional side pockets inside or outside the bag.

I made more pictures, so if something is not clear please don´t hesitate to ask me to upload more detail.

Edited by Angie

Well with all the help and input above I also followed Angies' method and here is the result of our combined "brainstorming" made up of canvas....leather still to follow!

Start out with a rectangle piece and fold double, attach the zip, determine the base size and create the triangle to fold in (or after sewing can be cut off)

post-51328-0-34606800-1433671375_thumb.j

Turn over the bag and place on bottom - it now seems the top is "longer" than the bottom, but this illusion is created because of the triangles that were formed to create the bottom of the bag

post-51328-0-28190800-1433671410_thumb.j

Handles need to be attached with the bottom measurements taken into account

post-51328-0-78478900-1433671458_thumb.j

This is the same dimension as the top of the bag (when tied down)

post-51328-0-97483200-1433671494_thumb.j

With the bag standing upright and pulling the handles sideways the top "drops" to take the same shape as the bottom

post-51328-0-51304600-1433671524_thumb.j

The edges protruding are simply folded towards the bottom....like you close a gift when wrapping(thanks ShannonW)

post-51328-0-28262400-1433671554_thumb.j

at last the shape comes together and you have a tie down bag

post-51328-0-42547200-1433671613_thumb.j

Note: Allow extra for the length of your bag or else it tends to come out square rather than rectangular to create the Duffel bag look.

Now I am going to play with dimensions before I use leather as intended to produce a leather tie down Duffel bag.

Thanks to all my co designers and leather friends above!!

Edited by dirkba

1.Tie down

attachicon.gifleather-duffle-bag-250x250.jpg

2. Base to base zipper

attachicon.gifleather-duffle-bags.jpg

i have had this picture (and many others like it) in "my favorites" for a couple of years. i've always wanted to get around to making this design, but have never figured it out.\

have you figured it out in leather, dirkba?

i'd like to make a couple of these. some out of leather, and others out of leather and heavy canvas.

Hi Ramrod,

I have started with a leather tie down bag.

I followed the steps described in thread 18 and I am hoping to finish the project next weekend. I still have to do the handles and attach them.

I shall then post a picture of the finished bag and also include pics of the bigger canvas one I made for my son.

At last I finished the leather tie down bag.

post-51328-0-47753900-1441626232_thumb.j

post-51328-0-80615500-1441626301_thumb.j

It's very cool! Nice work there :thumbsup:

Dirkba.

I know a guy that will most probably make a whole set of plans that you can print off and attached to a backing for full size templates.. He will work out all the construction details.. Cost approx. US$70

He has provided me with excellent patterns before.

Message me if you want his details.

Thanks Van Dutch,

I no longer have a need for the pattern - bag was only a once off for own use!